Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSX Reliability

MSX Reliability

How is the reliability of the 4-stroke MSX watercraft?
    Of course most posts are problems, so it's hard to get
    a good gauge on the quality. How are the boats doing?

Quote Originally Posted by thehemi View Post
    How is the reliability of the 4-stroke MSX watercraft?
    Of course most posts are problems, so it's hard to get
    a good gauge on the quality. How are the boats doing?
    German engineering...and runs like a Swiss watch!

Mine has never failed to start for me...and even when I had a problem, always gave me enough RPM's to return to the dock.

I love the closed loop cooling system...no worries in winter storage, and no salt water in the engine block.

I just took one (2004 MSX150) into the shop for repairs since it won't rev over 5900 RPM after a 1 minute capsizing and the comments I received by calling three dealers might help you with your question. Dealer #1 Mc###### Texas "we don't see a lot of those in our shop, our mechanic would rather not have it in here since these things are really complex and prone to all sorts of electrical issues, try R## R#### Motorsports"

Next call to R## R##### "Yea, I know what your problem is. We used to work on 'em but I wouldn't touch another one for anything. I'd be happy to help you in any way but PLEASE do NOT bring it into this shop" me "do you know who would work on it?" him "I don't and from what I know, most shops don't want anything to do with those things, some of the dealers are forced to since they sold them originally. They have some serious issues with oil contamination from people overfilling, leaning too much and rolling them."

I drove it two hour SW to the original shop it came from and spoke with the mechanic that knows these things very well. He had 6 of them in when I arrived already in for service. He said that to his knowledge he and another guy are the only ones in TX that will have anything to do with the MSX 110/150. I said "hey, I'd be happy to get your name and info out there as someone that knows what they are doing" his response was "please don't, I have enough of these things in here already..."

This ski is my buddies that I borrowed for a day in order to take my sis in law and wife out on the lake. The ladies rolled it and I had it back over again in under one minute. I knew these things had some issues but I didn't think being capsized for less than a minute, being rolled back the RIGHT way (per the manual) would result in oil intrusion and contamination of oxygen sensors. I pulled and cleaned the map sensors but they just clog up again due to the oil in the intercooler (impossible to clean without pulling it out). Long story short, 4 hours round trip yesterday to get them to a mechanic willing to fix, one tank of gas, loss of 1/2 day of work and I expect $500 repair bill. I won't ever touch these things again and I have some experience with skis. I currently have a Honda Aquatrax, 2002 Yamaha Superjet, 1995 Yamaha Superjet surf ski, (in the past I have had Kawi 2 650 sx's, 440, SXI Pro, Yamaha XLT 800 and a Sea Doo XP)

One final note, the MSX 150 is quick, handles GREAT in chop (my Honda is terrible) pulls great and is a really nice looking ski. The MSX 140 (two stroke) would be a MUCH safer bet I would imagine. My buddy i borrowed this one from has two that he bought in the spring. I think he will be selling both of them at the end of the season and looking for a set of Yamaha or kawis.

That is not a glowing review for the Polaris 4-stroke.

The 140 is their DI 2-stroke, yes? Is the DI pretty solid?
    Is the long block of the 1200 the same as my Virage TX,
    or did they change it up for the MSX? I love my VTX.

I didn't want to be one of "those guys" that blast every other ski but their own so I thought sharing the comments of the people the used to sell and now service (or are supposed to at least) the Polaris four stroke watercraft would be helpful. I now think of these things like a classic Ferrari, fast, sexy but prone to breakdowns requiring a specialized shop and mechanic. If you can afford it, then it's a non issue. For guys like me, I'll just remain happy with my Honda and hopefully not even know where the local dealership is because I won't ever need him...I'm not out on the water to be sexy anyway...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wshowell View Post
    ...spoke with the mechanic that knows these things very well. He had 6 of them in when I arrived already in for service. He said that to his knowledge he and another guy are the only ones in TX that will have anything to do with the MSX 110/150.

I said "hey, I'd be happy to get your name and info out there as someone that knows what they are doing" his response was "please don't, I have enough of these things in here already..."...
    Can you tell us anyway?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thehemi View Post
    ...The 140 is their DI 2-stroke, yes? Is the DI pretty solid?

Is the long block of the 1200 the same as my Virage TX,
    or did they change it up for the MSX? I love my VTX.
    The MSX 140 is the Ficht fuel injected 2-stroke engine. I have both a 2002 Virage TXi and a 2004 MSX 140.

The 1192cc MSX 140 engine is incrementally different from the red domestic 1165cc. Mostly minor differences, but still differences.

There were several important Service Bulletins for the first production year of MSX 140 (2003). If those are attended to, then it should be OK.

I seriously want to stay on this guy's good side as he is going to try to save me some cash by cleaning the sensors and such instead of just ordering new ones and I like to keep my word. He also said he has worked out a way to flush the intercooler out instead of needing to remove it since he said that involved pulling the steering and that just increases the bill. When I do The Drive down to get it in a week or so I will ask him again if he is OK with me referencing him as a source of knowledge. I also know he and the team at the shop keep an eye on this site as I saw a print out of a post someone had about the 250X Kawi versus the Yamaha (whatever their new hot rod ski is) in the shop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wshowell View Post
    I seriously want to stay on this guy's good side...

...I also know he and the team at the shop keep an eye on this site as I saw a print out of a post someone had...in the shop.
    Understood

Do tell them that we would love to hear from them!

+1
    Not to knock anybody,back in the day.mechanics did not want to work on cars that had computers/fuel injection. Some would install old carbs.It's a learning process,alot do not want to change and will always have bad things to say.Once you know what you are doing.it is easy.I heard all the same stories about working on Ford's,.when I worked there ,it was the simplest-user friendly system possible.Now the system is the same as OBD2 and eveybody can fix it and loves it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information