Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1

Question '02 Virage 800i fuel injection questions... need HELP!

I'm trying to help my friend get her ski running and after reading everything I could find over here on the Polaris side it sounds like alot of people have had problems with the fuel injection system. I'm planning on running through all the steps checking fuel pressure, injector voltage, weak battery or stator, and all that fun electrical stuff but I really feel that since the ski only has 18 hours on it that it's just some gunked up injectors. Can the injectors be taken off and cleaned or soaked in parts cleaning solution?

Here's the basics.. she bought the ski new in '02 and has only put 18 hours on it. She bought a jet boat in '03 so the ski has spent it's whole life under a cover in her garage and gets used maybe once a year. She didn't winterize it last year and the fuel tank has never seen fuel stabilizer. When I first looked at the ski for her last week it had some autolite spark plugs in it that in NO way resemble the plugs that are supposed to be in it. We charged up the battery and bought the $20/each NGK's and it wouldn't fire on it's own. We drained all of the old gas out and filled it with fresh fuel and a bottle of fuel system cleaner. The ski would only start by spraying fuel or starting fluid into the throttle bodies and would require 1/8 to 1/4 throttle to remain running on the trailer. She didn't have a flush kit so I took it to the lake Sunday to try to run it for a while, it didn't have enough throttle response to even get on plane but after about 5-10 minutes it started to clear up and ran "decent" but still had a hesitation and intermitent throttle surge feeling. After running it for a while it would start on it's own in the water but still wouldn't idle. Normally I would just tear into things and if it didn't work out I'd just order the new parts but since this isn't my ski I figured I should ask for advice on here first. I'm really just suspecting a dirty fuel system and wish this thing was carbed!

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, yes the injectors can be taken off and the tips cleaned. Yours would be the first time I have heard of them being dirty inside.

Click here for the Service manual, which includes the proper torque for the injector bolts. Do not over torque the injectors, and make sure you don't lose the fat O-ring that sits under the top of the bracket.

Be aware that these are direct injection injectors, which are very different from the typical automotive fuel injectors

Automotive injectors are really just an electric valve with a spray nozzle.

The Ficht injectors incorporate an electrically powered ram inside the injector, which boosts the fuel pressure from about 20PSI to several hundred PSI.

Be careful with the injector tips. They are extremely high precision, and must not be swapped between injectors. Also, each injector should be marked with which cylinder it came from, and be reinstalled on that same cylinder.

Another test is to unplug the TPS, and see if it will start and idle with the TPS unplugged. If it will, then the TPS may have failed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230563.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	137244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230555.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	137245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230558.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	137246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290696.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	137247  

+1
    Thank you for the detailed reply! You make it sound like it's very unlikely that the several year old gasoline could gum up or create enough varnish in the injectors to prohibit the machine from running as it's supposed to. Is this because of the extreme pressures that they inject at or because they have bigger fuel passages like a main jet on a carb? I'm gonna tear into this tomorrow and see what I find I'm hoping for a simple fix!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ProXR 440 View Post
    ...I'm gonna tear into this tomorrow and see what I find I'm hoping for a simple fix!
    Start with the TPS.
    Just unplug it at the rear of the throttle body, and see if it will start and idle.

Another Ficht owner reported that his engine wouldn't start with the TPS unplugged, but he could unplug it after he got it started, and then it would idle.

Also, check that the TPS is properly mounted, and the TPS shaft is turning in sync with the throttle shaft.

Next check fuel pressure.
    Should be over 20PSI at the schrader valve, as soon as the engine starts cranking.

Next check injector voltage.
    Trace the White/Red wires to find a splice connection where you can tap in your multi-meter. Leave both injectors plugged into the wire harness.

When the engine is cranking, injector voltage should jump to over 20 volts, then as soon as the engine starts, voltage should jump again to over 40 volts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7070508.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	137410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040451.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	137411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040448.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	137412  

+1
    Thanks again for the fast reply! Do you have pics of every part on this machine? lol I'm glad someone on here know's about this machine since I've never touched one of these with fuel injection.

Thread Information