Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Seadoo 4-Tec Puzzler, anyone?

More on the saga of the Limited...

A buddy, diesel mechanic came over this afternoon and we worked on the machine and this is what we now know:

1) Compression 175-175-180 may be high as there is marvel mystery oil in the cylinders
    2) Took off the head, everything looks fine (couple of very small rust spots on cam shaft that wipe off)
    3) Without plugs – spins and shoots fuel mist out of all three holes
    4) Turns over by hand, smooth with resistance by the value springs. He turned the shaft and I held it from where the pump mounts and we could get it to turn thru the whole cycle pretty easily
    5) New SBT starter
    6) Tried 2 different batteries, jump pack and jump from my truck (not running)
    7) With the plugs in, the starter turns a couple of time and eventually stalls
    Drops battery voltage to 5-6 volts as the starter stalls, amps to starter 750+ when it stalls
    9) We tried starting on 1 cylinder, 2 cylinders and all three – no dice
    10) I have had this machine started in the last couple of weeks

Thoughts????

+1
    If the volts drop to 5-6volts than it is bad. (Has a bad cell). You could have bad battery cables as well (thicker the better). Try a car battery with marine posts,(to test) or a new one the correct size for your ski. If a new (good battery) still spins it over slowly, than the starter is burned up internally(defective)I'd send it back.

Also have u tried to spin it over with the pump out? The bearings could be siezing, or prop dragging. The timing could be off also.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Hmmm... this is the second thread here about the same issue... save yourself from more wasted time and effort... throw that pos SBT starter as far as you can in a lake ...

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    If the volts drop to 5-6volts than it is bad. (Has a bad cell). You could have bad battery cables as well (thicker the better). Try a car battery with marine posts,(to test) or a new one the correct size for your ski. If a new (good battery) still spins it over slowly, than the starter is burned up internally(defective)I'd send it back.

Also have u tried to spin it over with the pump out? The bearings could be siezing, or prop dragging. The timing could be off also.
    he tried 2 different batteries and jumped from his truck, kinda would doubt it's the battery, could be a battery cable rotted out though. I would suspect the starter. Verify that the cam timing has not advanced from slipping a tooth on the gear due to a worn chain, that would explain the higher cylinder pressure. Was it doing this before you changed the starter? doubt two starters would do the same thing, SBT= Soon Be Trash

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    SBT= Soon Be Trash
    I knew that abbreviation had a real meaning...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Hmmm... this is the second thread about the same issue... save yourself from more wasted time and effort... throw that pos SBT starter as far as you can in a lake ...

+1

The timing chain is very tight and looks new

I am hearing a theme here on the SBT starter.

The pump is off the machine, zero bearing drag there

I would jump right to a new starter, but the OEM starter did the same thing which is why I replaced it with the SBT (based on feedback here I would never do the SBT/non-OEM thing again).

If you pulled the head on a new SBT motor, then you voided the warranty. IIRC, the warranty may have been 2 years. Remember that SBT makes alot of their parts and you can only buy replacements from them. SBT is a good place to buy a rebuilt motor if you are planning to sell the ski immediately... Ron

Very happy with SBT

So, I called SBT to discuss the starter and they offered to send me a new one but asked me to discuss my problem with their techs to avoid mailing starters back and forth. I described my problem (at least the one with the jetski ) and in about 2 seconds he told me that his guess was that the timing was off. He told me about the 2 locking holes and outlined what I needed to do.

As I started working I was confused between the 2 plugs and I called him back and he straightened me out.

The timing was off by 3 or 4 teeth. Adjusted it, put the whole thing back together and it STARTS and RUNS, Yeah! I have not idea who the timing got off, my guess is that someone before me put in a new timing chain and never set the timing in the first place. Any other ideas?

The amazing thing here is that if I spent the $400 on the OEM starter who could I have called to diagnose the real issue with the starting. Pretty good service in my book for a $150 part.

Off to make my parts list to finish the rebuild (steering, pump, hood strut, etc.) Bought the new display on ebay today. I can tell you I will buy everything on the list that I can from SBT. I can almost feel that first wave....

Glad you got it fixed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information