Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Launching Jet Skis at Ramp

Ok, I have always been anal about launching my jetskis and never want to get a scratch on them. Our launch ramp is pure algae and dead fish and when my dad and I used to go out it was no big deal just to have someone stand in the water and hold both skis so they dont hit the dock and then park the truck and leave. Now I am taking out my gf and I feel bad she has to stand in that junk. Anyone have any other ideas besides standing in the water. My issue is that the great lakes lake levels are kinda down from where they built the docks. It is at about perfect level to break mirrors, hood, w/e... if you let the jet ski float under the dock if it was just tied up. Any ideas would be appreciated. And if worse comes to worse the gf is in the water and o well. lol

+1
    Tell your ramp master to start looking after the ramp hope you dont pay to use that ramp. is there a better ramp you can use that isnt as crappy? Id be more worried about sucking crap up in to the pump. if she doesnt want to stand in the water maybe keep a pair of hip/chest waiters in the truck and she can wear them when she needs to stand in the water.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Teach her how to drive the truck with the trailer. She will learn a new skill, and you can stand in the water while she parks the rig.

Teach her how to back it up with a trailer, and she will have another useful skill.

Practice somewhere other than at the ramp.

Or find some tall stiff fenders that you can hang down from the dock, to keep the ski protected.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Tell your ramp master to start looking after the ramp hope you dont pay to use that ramp. is there a better ramp you can use that isnt as crappy? Id be more worried about sucking crap up in to the pump. if she doesnt want to stand in the water maybe keep a pair of hip/chest waiters in the truck and she can wear them when she needs to stand in the water.
    The ramp is the city ramp and they could care less. I have to pay 75 bucks a year to use it. But its my only option, there are others but this is by far the easiest. I know there alot of sticks, bottle caps etc floating around, and I know there are some big rocks, but i just push out past them. She hasnt complained yet haha but in the future I could see it. Maybe if I call the city they might do something... who knows, i can give it a shot.

Haha thats ture. i can teach her how to drive with the trailer. but she rarely drives now and just got her licence a month ago. But hey I was 14 and backing in the trailer lk a pro. Maybe its her turn to learn. Good idea. Nobody uses the ramp. Maybe 5 or 6 people all day, thats why the algae grows. I could just teach her there.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Teach her how to drive the truck with the trailer. She will learn a new skill, and you can stand in the water while she parks the rig...
    Thats a great idea. Give someone a fish and they eat for 1 day. Teach them how to fish, and they can eat forever.

I was down at my local ramp the other day. Gal was trying to back down big truck and trailer and obviously having problems. But there were no crowds and she was not delaying anyone. Her guy was standing on dock just watching which seemed odd to me. He must have seen it on my face because he blurted out she really wanted to try and learn how to do this on her own. I thought that was just great!

Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    Some good humor at launch ramps. My wife learned how to back the trailer in at out house (drive way). I set up some cones and off she went. Snowmobile trailer is a bit easier (24 feet long) vs the ski trailer (10 feet). My truck is a F-250 with a topper, so it's easier to open the tail of the truck and look over the kids (smiles and all).

+1
    The BEST thing I ever did after buying my skis was to teach my wife how to back up the trailer. I even taught her how to untie the skis. I still am a little uneasy about her tying them up when loaded back on the trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaserxp215 View Post
    The ramp is the city ramp and they could care less. I have to pay 75 bucks a year to use it. But its my only option, there are others but this is by far the easiest. I know there alot of sticks, bottle caps etc floating around, and I know there are some big rocks, but i just push out past them. She hasnt complained yet haha but in the future I could see it. Maybe if I call the city they might do something... who knows, i can give it a shot.

i know where i live if i called the city and said look your guys arent doing there job and they should fix the problem then most likely they will fix it. Ive got a couple new wheels paid for by the city cause of pot holes. If your skis get wrecked by the dock your city should be liable to foot the bill for not maintaining the ramp they own, Be sure to tell them that when you call and tell them to fix there SH*t that you pay to use.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    The BEST thing I ever did after buying my skis was to teach my wife how to back up the trailer. I even taught her how to untie the skis. I still am a little uneasy about her tying them up when loaded back on the trailer.
    My ramp is 8'6" wide and my double is 8'2" wide. I've tried to talk my girlfriend into learning but she wants no part in it.

Can't work a ratchet strap either, so I get to do that by myself too.

grrrrrrrrrr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information