yamaha 1200xlt starting tips

I have been riding a 2001- 800xl and no problems starting it. I just picked up a 2004- 1200xlt and I seem to be having a problem getting a smooth easy starting procedure. Once it is started it seems to run like it should and gives the 60plus speeds. ANYBODY HAVE A STARTING PROCEDURE THAT WORKS WELL FOR THEM. I would appreciate any tips.

North Aurora, Illinois, United States
    fuel is probably draining back to the tank between rides and you have to pump it back to the carbs to get it to start. Most guys put a primer kit in to allow easy starts.

Like Doug said, you can also try pumping the throttle 10 times before cranking. It can help prime the system a little bit because if the carbs are stock it has the accelerator pumps mounted to them

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    What works for me is to pull the choke (I still have a choke) and hold the throttle about half way and crank. If she hasn't run for a couple of weeks it cranks longer but usually she starts within a few seconds. I have 290 hours on the motor as well.

The Rock
    as above... but i would fit a primer asap,did it on my carbed 1300 and never looked back

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Pontoon Beach Illinois
    Do the primer, a lot easier on the starter, abttery etc... But my procedure was the same as above... Pump throttle 4-5 times the hold half way turn the starter over for a couple second then repeat

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for all of your replies, it gives me a few choices which are easy to understand and work with. Look forward to a good summer of riding.

Mooresville, NC (Lake Norman)
    Yup, primer is crucial! The 1200's are kind hard starting IMO without.

But, full choke and crank it till she sputters up, let idle for 5 seconds and give some gas, that's what I do. You can pump the accelerators too - but don't give throttle while cranking! Lowers carb throat restriction which is what choke plates do...

Thread Information