Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about older Yamaha (95-ish)

Posted this in general, but probably better off here..

Me and a friend bought some skis last year and never got around to using them (or he didnt get his licesnse...). I have since decided to sell him my ski and cut my losses. Of course this has suddenly inspired him to get his license. In the process I have been looking around for a cheaper and possibly more reliable ski.

I am looking for some input on older model Yamahas. I have my heart set on a 95-ish waveraider. Is there a general opinion on the 1100 or 700cc engines? How much more/less maint. would be required when compared to a Seadoo XP of the same year? Also what would be considered high hours for a used ski? I have seen some stuff saying anything over 100 is high, and others saying it doesnt matter as long as it was maintained well. Would a compression check be enough to give a general idea of the condition?

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar

Arrow

Post in old school get more response

Do a search here in Yamaha Old School, lots of info for your question.

Quote Originally Posted by located_in_MI View Post
    I have my heart set on a 95-ish waveraider. Is there a general opinion on the 1100 or 700cc engines?
    I vote for the 1100, has very good power, it's a simple and reliable engine...

+1
    Both the 701 and 1100 are good engines. The older "purple" hull 701 raider is an awesome ski really for the money. They are much faster then even the 760 sisters that are newer. The 1100 has plenty of power "110" vs the "73" that ht 62T based purple hull has. The 1100 requires more parts for rebuilding since it's the tripple...but it's certainly more fun if your an all out speed rider. The 1100 uses quite a bit more in gas however...expect WOT to last about an hour....where the 701 gets about 1.5 hours.

M

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    License?

+1
    I have a 96 Raider, with the 700BU engine. Fun, stable, economical (only 1 carb), and 100% stock. Reliable too. I know you can dump money into 'em and make quick machines, if that's what you want. And if that is indeed what you want, I'd go 1100 and have a pretty quick ski to start with. But as Mpeavler said, be prepared to go through a lot more gas, and rebuilds / repairs / mods can be more costly because of more cyls and triple carbs. But as for repairs, I don't think the Yamis are as service intensive as other skis. My $0.02.

Posted this in general, but probably better off here..

Me and a friend bought some skis last year and never got around to using them (or he didnt get his licesnse...). I have since decided to sell him my ski and cut my losses. Of course this has suddenly inspired him to get his license. In the process I have been looking around for a cheaper and possibly more reliable ski.

I am looking for some input on older model Yamahas. I have my heart set on a 95-ish waveraider. Is there a general opinion on the 1100 or 700cc engines? How much more/less maint. would be required when compared to a Seadoo XP of the same year? Also what would be considered high hours for a used ski? I have seen some stuff saying anything over 100 is high, and others saying it doesnt matter as long as it was maintained well. Would a compression check be enough to give a general idea of the condition?

Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    License?
    Here in MI if you were born after a certain date (sometime in the 70s I think) you are required to take a boaters safety course. Its like a 6 hours course and they pretty much just hand out the cert at the end.

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at an 1100. If I end up buying I will upload some pics and share my excitement

+1
    Canada has the same thing - you need to have a license, which is pretty much an online test, and your buddy can be an invigilator. Maybe it'll become more strict, but right now it seems to be only a technicality, and anyone can work around studying or learning anything.

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Here in MI if you were born after a certain date (sometime in the 70s I think) you are required to take a boaters safety course. Its like a 6 hours course and they pretty much just hand out the cert at the end.

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at an 1100. If I end up buying I will upload some pics and share my excitement

Good. EVERY state should require this. Too many nutjobs on the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information