Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 msx150 overboost, what next?

27hrs on ski, WG moves freely, WG solenoid tested and works fine, no leaks on the intake, boost hoses or banjo screws. Sensors were oiled when i got the ski but have cleaned them along with the intercooler and intake, also switched boost sensors with no luck. I rode it yesterday for a few hours limmited to 6000-6300rpm, the problem was the intake purge had blown off, when i fixed that the system would constantly overboost around 4800rpm

Will run WOT for about 1-2 seconds purge then go into overboost i suspect, limited to 5k w/CEL today.

I believe the System IFB is bad, Kill/stop doesn't work, also someone put autolite plugs in it which cannot be correct, had like a .07 gap not sure if they are resister type or not.

Any Ideas?

+1
    check the hose coming from the turbo to the wastegate solenoid. you should be able to blow through it. If not you need to clean the banjo fitting on the turbo housing.
    let us know what you find?

Jay

Thank for the reply!

I checked and it does blow freely. I've checked everything on the turbo side and I all seems OK.

Would a bad boost sensor be to blame? And would there be anyway to test without software?

Yesterday I would get the overboost limit, 4800 rpm with no cel. I pulled all boost hoses and banjo fittings along with intake hose and ETB to check for leaks, but found none i then resealed everything.
    Today when i took it out I made a 5min run and would get a 5000rpm limit with the cel.
    Possibly the ECU retarding the timing for some reason?

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks

+1
    Take the hose off the boost solenoid and pump approx 10 psi of air (bike pump or similar) and make sure the waste gate actuator works (no holes in diaphragm)

Thanks.

Tried that and it checked out OK. Took if out again today, 4800 with CEL. buy can't find the problem. Anymore ideas? Is there anyway to make the MSX just work? I would like to fix it and get rid of it, but i'm at the point where i may just get rid of it.

+1
    Did you run the multimeter over the intake sensors? I have seen at least one decide to let go of its grip on reality due to contamination.
    No need to sell once your problem is solved look forward to a lot of seasons of riding
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for that link, my service manual does not have the resistance for the those sensors, so I will check them out. I noticed the WG arm seems over extended and will adjust that and test the ski again tommorow.

Thanks Again!

I adjusted the WG arm to allow the Turbo to be vented slightly in the rested position. Will run WOT 7000rpm+- 100, if the WG is closed any further to increase boost/rpm in will OVERBOOST.

Any Ideas to why it will not run full boost?

At 7k WOT if run as well as my GTX RFI 787 110hp, but with more top speed. Far from 150hp however.

+1
    When you had the actuator arm off the waste gate arm did the arm move freely or was it a bit stiff? What i am saying here is that the ECU will protect the engine from too high a boost pressure. May be the waste gate is not opening fast or far enough. These need to be lubricated often!

Thanks,

The WG arm has no resistance....Possibly the WG solenoid? I've tested it, here is what I found.

WG actuator line to compressor- will blow freely
    banjo to actuator- will move the actuator however will not hold pressure, it will slowly leak through the atmosphere vent on the WG solenoid,
    12v applied to solenoid-releases actuator pressure.

What do you think, I'm not sure it the WG solenoid should leak the pressure from the compressor to the actuator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information