+1

WTB: Riva Valve Train Upgrade

PM me if you have one for sale!!!

+1
    I have a brand new set of rotax shims and retainers I'll sell for $180 if your interested. These are good for 8600 rpms all day long. I bought them and have now decided to stick with my stock ecu so I dont need them.LMK

Personally I would not buy a used set, as the retainers wear/bed-in to the original installation.

The less-expensive way is to go to Jerrys shop, and get the Rotax ones with the washers.
    Then get the rocker bolts, replace them, and use orig springs which are quite good anyway.

Worth considering.

Either way, I TOTALLY recommend the tool from Riva to change them without removing the head. It makes the job a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    I have a brand new set of rotax shims and retainers I'll sell for $180 if your interested. These are good for 8600 rpms all day long. I bought them and have now decided to stick with my stock ecu so I dont need them.LMK

Good value.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    Personally I would not buy a used set, as the retainers wear/bed-in to the original installation.
    How quickly do you believe this happens? I have my eye on a 5 hour set?

The recommendation is 25 hrs check, so my guess would be 'pretty immediately' they start to bed in.

IMO, be careful with used internals on something like this. They get a real good-hiding in the top of the engine, and no room to go slightly wrong either.

Its down to financial risk at the end of the day. Jerrys V.T. upgrade, or the other way is recommended in my book of cash savings.

Its the old saying I use. Atleast you have a bench-mark of reliability, which is better than the unknown which will plague you indefinately.

True, its an expense which really doesn't seem to add any speed, but its like rods etc. The unseen is the difference.

p.s. It stilll illudes me why these were removed after 5 hrs use only!

+1
    They are parting out the whole engine! Who knows????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Hmm, very interesting. I thought you needed the whole valvetrain upgrade kit. That is much better than $500. Wish I had the money for that and ECU, I would be on those.

+1
    I had an interesting discussion on this with a technition at Ferrea recently who was very helpful. He basically explained that the springs are everything when it comes to valve position and longevity. He also explained some test work that Riva did on stock springs versus the upgraded Riva kit (BTW - they are Ferrea springs/retainers/etc.).

He said the stock springs lost their spring force very quickly where the Ferrea springs did not. So, if you think about valve float - granted that the retainers help - but if you are loosing spring tension they really don't solve the entire problem.

His guidance is that the valve train upgrade is really more important than the new valves in the entire equation. Now, that only works if the existing valves are new and not damaged in any way. It was a very interesting discussion.

Thread Information