Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crazy seller story

I sold my rxp to some kid 3 weeks ago for 5k. before he bought the ski he inspected it twice and i even let him take it for a half an hour ride. anyway he paid me cash i gave him my reg with a notarized bill of sale and he went on his way. he has been riding this thing for the last 3 weeks without putting it in his name. long story short he says the thing is blown up and he wants his money back. I said i was sorry to hear that but there was nothing i could do. he asked for 2.5k and i still replied that i could not help him out. he then said he is taking me to court and he's sure the judge will rule in his favor. IS HE SERIOUS!

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    you're fine...the kid is dumb.

+1
    anything i sell i will right up 2 bills of sales saying that they purchased it for a amount and it's sold as is and have them sign it...kinda like a waiver....that way they have a copy and i have a copy for references...the kid prorbably changed oil in it didn't put enough in and is trying to blame it on you...

+1
    Let him take you to court. It's an accepted fact that if you buy a used item then it's as is, period, unless otherwise stated in writting. He's screwed. he should have contacted you way before 3 weeks went by.

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Let him take you to court. It's an accepted fact that if you buy a used item then it's as is, period, unless otherwise stated in writting. He's screwed. he should have contacted you way before 3 weeks went by.
    whats the old saying go...30ft or 30secs?
    I mean you can't knowingly sell someone a product that you know and is obviously going to break down (Lemon Law), but pretty much once its off the lot and no longer in your possession. It's no longer your problem.

Oh, and an RXP, too. Ballin Ultras's Avatar
    He does not have a leg to stand on and you have nothing to be stressed about. $100 says you guys never even make it to court. Attorneys do not work for free.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

a trip to small claims court is in the cards

He'll make a try no doubt..be sure to show up, if you miss, you could end up losing.

I've won a a number of small claims court cases that way, but trying to collect the judgment is another matter entirely.

+1
    I would be more worried if he had not had the title changed and it was still running. If anything, him blowing it up did you a favor. Last thing you want is a kid riding a rocket while it is still in your name.
    Tell him you will buy it back for $500, rebuild it, and sell it again.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Did you document the hours when you sold it? Always get them to sign of on a second bill of sale stating the ski is in working order and noting the hours. Keep for your records. Also that shows you are no longer the legal owner if something happens while they are riding around on your registration. I sold a ski and two years later they were calling me because they had lost the title, in the mean time the sticker was expired. What do you tell them? I'm not going to do all the leg work because they were lazy and didn't want to pay the taxes. Guess I could find out their location and reclaim my ski as they have nothing to show proof of ownership.

+1
    I sold my 16 ft. Bayliner cuddy cabin that I had for 22 years (1985) in the summer of 07. Told the guy he could pick up the title after the check cleared. Haven't seen him or the boat since. I still have the title for both the boat and the trailer and a second set of keys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information