06 1300 intake grate question

Ok, we have all heard about how the stock intake grate will overstuff the pump, lift the rear of the ski and slam a hard right turn when the throttle is (chopped). My question is, what if you dont chop the throttle? My riding habits have never been to suddenly go from WOT to idle in an instant, and theoretically, its not good for the engine to go from loaded 7200 rpm to an idle in a fraction of a second, coolant flow slows down as fast as the engine rpms do and could create an overheat scenario IMO. A good comparison would be a quarter mile drag car. Any bracket racer knows what happens on the return road when coolant flow slows down, the car overheats, hence the development of the electric water pump, to keep the rate of water flow higher.. Soooo, if the only time the stock grate overstuffs is from chopping the throttle, then the grate could be useable into the low 70s with proper riding habits? Which leads to my actual question... Which grate is simply the fastest, not quickest but top speed only, the stock grate, the 800 grate, or the 2bar grate, or the 1bar grate, for an 06 gp1300 with hull mods only...My 06 gp1300 is at 69 GPS with only mods being a trued R&D plate, D-plate, and champion 8902 wire tip plugs in 95 degree heat. Any feedback is appreciated, Ross in St Pete.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo
    Which grate is simply the fastest, not quickest but top speed only, the stock grate, the 800 grate, or the 2bar grate, or the 1bar grate, for an 06 gp1300 with hull mods only...My 06 gp1300 is at 69 GPS with only mods being a trued R&D plate, D-plate, and champion 8902 wire tip plugs in 95 degree heat. Any feedback is appreciated, Ross in St Pete.
    Fastest, 800 grate IMO

+1
    You don't have to let off the throttle for it to overstuff with the stock grate. But when it does happen it will jerk right on you and you can kiss your ass goodbye. With the riva or r&D grate it will just buck on you and stay straight
    with the 800 or 1200 grate, and you can ride it out. Mods and adjustments can be made to help this problem. The faster you go, the more stuff needs to be done. Do not use the stock grate period!!!!!!!

Quote:You don't have to let off the throttle for it to overstuff with the stock grate. But when it does happen it will jerk right on you and you can kiss your ass goodbye: Unquote.
    Thats the first time i have heard that. That does change everything...

I am assuming the 800 grate is a R&D grate? Anyone for a part number?

Quote:You don't have to let off the throttle for it to overstuff with the stock grate. But when it does happen it will jerk right on you and you can kiss your ass goodbye: Unquote.
    Thats the first time i have heard that. That does change everything...
    yep.. it happened to me twice... the first time when it dove right I almost hit the guy I was racing. scared both of us!!! The second time it threw me doing about 66+ ( never got to see ), I hit the water so hard I saw stars, was disoriented and had a lil case of whiplash... My neck was sore for 2 weeks.

Definitly be safe and ditch the stock intake grate...

+1
    I am assuming the 800 grate is a R&D grate? Anyone for a part number?
    112-00800 GP 800R all $137.88

I understand they are out of them too.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar

Talking

Even with the R&D 1200 grate. Riding two people, WATCH the QUICK slow downs. It Bucks REAL GOOD! But stays straight

+1
    ok..so your hauling ass across the lake going like 70 mph ,everything is great till you see the giant wake left by a heavily weighted wake board boat...so what to do ?? chop the throttle to slow down , or go flying ass over tea kettle....i been there done that...get the 1200 or 800 grate and have fun with your ski.....i was racing two stock rxp's and had them covered by about 3 lengths,i was running the stock grate , i was worried that if i had to chop the throttle my ski would turn left and the rxp's would run me over..i ordered the 1200 grate the next day.

OK Ok, I GET IT guys. HaHA.. Thanks for the input, i ordered my 2bar R&D last nite, and im not riding my gp again untill i get it on. My luck i would get hurled on my last day riding with my stock intake grate, cause staying out of the throttle is something i just cant do!

Thread Information