fuel pressure problem

so i check the return line and i have zero pressure. I checked the volts at the connection to the fuel pump and there was power. The only thing i can think of now is that the fuel pump is bad or the fuel filter is bad.

Thanks to k447 i now know how to take the fuel tank out, but it seems like a lot of work so i want to make sure you guys think i'm right with changing the fuel pump and filter.

Any idea where i can get the parts? It's a 2002 virage txi

What do you think? Could it be something else?

I think the fuel pump would expline my initial problem. I was having to hold the start button down to keep the ski running. Holding the start button down if i'm not mistaken will force more fuel into the engin. when i let go of the start button it would turn off because the pump was not working properly(I think???????????)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kc44408 View Post
    so i check the return line and i have zero pressure. I checked the volts at the connection to the fuel pump and there was power.
    That is not the way to check the fuel pump. The pump always has 12 volt power.

The fuel pump is controlled by the Brown wire to the pump. When the Brown wire is grounded, the fuel pump runs.
    If you want to force the fuel pump to run, you must ground the Brown wire.

The only thing i can think of now is that the fuel pump is bad or the fuel filter is bad.

...I now know how to take the fuel tank out, but it seems like a lot of work so i want to make sure you guys think i'm right with changing the fuel pump and filter.
    If the pressure regulator has fallen off inside the fuel pump, you can repair it without buying anything.

But the fuel tank still has to be moved, and the pump lifted out.

Any idea where i can get the parts?
    It's a 2002 Virage TXi
    Click here for a list of parts sources.
    The same fuel pump was used in all 1999-2004 Ficht fuel injected Polaris.

What do you think? Could it be something else?

I think the fuel pump would explain my initial problem. I was having to hold the start button down to keep the ski running.

Holding the start button down if i'm not mistaken will force more fuel into the engine.

when i let go of the start button it would turn off because the pump was not working properly(I think???????????)
    Why start another new thread?

It is better to keep the number of threads for the same machine to a minimum, otherwise we lose track of what else is going on.
    turns off if you let go of start button? please help
    oil leak and how to run out of water
    how to take out fuel pump and filter for 2002 virage txi

Holding the Start button down does not force more fuel into the engine.

If the fuel pump is bad, that needs to be corrected before you can get the engine to run properly.

Find a very thin pin or needle. Gently pierce the Brown wire that goes to the fuel pump, so the tip of the needle is touching the copper wire inside the Brown wire.

Now take another piece of wire, and connect the needle to a bare metal spot on the engine block.

You should hear the fuel pump running. If the pump does not run, make sure the pin is actually touching the insides of the brown wire, and the connection to the engine block is good.

With the fuel pump running, check the fuel pressure.

If fuel pressure is near zero, remove the pressure gauge, and press in on the tip of the schrader valve. Have a cloth rag handy. Fuel should flow out of the valve, with some pressure. This confirms the fuel pump is actually moving fuel, and the only problem is low pressure.

Clean up any spilled fuel, and dispose of the rag where it can not ctach fire.

Do these tests, and tell me what you find.

thanks a lot i will do what you sait in the morning and let you know. Thanks

and about makeing new threads, sorry i didn't know thats how it worked. Now i know.

if my fuel pump is working and i just have low pressure wouln't i still have to replace the pump?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kc44408 View Post
    if my fuel pump is working and i just have low pressure wouldn't I still have to replace the pump?
    Did you not click the link in this post, and read the thread?

This is all covered in the instructions thread;
    How to repair a Ficht fuel injection fuel pump - pressure regulator has fallen inside

Thread Information