1997 Polaris SLT700 Shaft Mid Bearing

I was riding my ski and noticed it was taking water in the hull. When I put it on the trailer I noticed that there was water pissing out from the drive shaft/intake.

Looks like the bearing is breached and needs to be replaced.

I haven't done any work on the drive before and I'm looking for instructions or diagrams. Is this something that I need to take to a shop or is it pretty easily a DIY (Do it Yourself) project?

I need to know how to disconnect the drive from the motor and other details.

THANKS!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

basic nut and bolt stuff

as long as the bearing isn't seized on the shaft you pull off the jet pump, pull the shaft out, inspect, fit replacement bearing and seals, grease the crap out of everything and reassemble, then grease it again ( at the bearing fitting and ride off into the sunset. Use the search, lots of info on this type of drive shaft setup.

Download the correct manual above.

parts and breakdowns are avail at www.partsland.com

or...purchase a Clymer Manual

bearing can be replaced and/or just the seals.

suggestion-------re-bearing and reseal the pump while it is out of the ski.

lots of info on this site

seach...is your friend.......

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dorf View Post
    Download the correct manual above.

...bearing can be replaced and/or just the seals.

suggestion-------re-bearing and reseal the pump while it is out of the ski.

...seach...is your friend...
    Quote Originally Posted by rlacy916 View Post
    I'm a newbie to working on my ski...so, I need to know how to remove jet pump and the shaft and if I can do all of the work from within the hull.
    Or do I have to remove it from the bottom of the ski.
    Are there any special tools that I might need?
    The bearing didn't seize...the ski runs normal until the hull fills with water...
    Click here to download the Polaris Service Manual.

You will need to remove the jet pump from the rear of the hull, and pull the drive shaft out.

Use the Search function - there have been many posts and threads covering this.

Replace both the seals and the bearing inside the through-hull assembly with new ones - the parts are not expensive.

The seals and bearings are standard sizes, which have been posted elsewhere on here. No special tools required.

Or you can buy the parts new from one of the Polaris OEM parts sources.

While you have the jet pump off, now is the time to check the bearings for the impeller. The impeller should spin very smoothly. No gritty feeling, and no wobble or slop in the bearings. Just a smooth turning shaft.

If there is any question about the health of those impeller bearings, not is the time to change them. You will need an impeller removal tool (under $20 from eBay).

Instructions for removing the impeller and changing the seals and bearings are in the service manual.

The only 'trick' is to freeze the bearings in your home freezer, and warm the stator, which makes it much easier to get the new bearings to seat properly.

Also check the impeller for damage, and check the blade clearance. All covered in the service manual

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    as long as the bearing isn't seized on the shaft you pull off the jet pump, pull the shaft out, inspect, fit replacement bearing and seals, grease the crap out of everything and reassemble, then grease it again ( at the bearing fitting and ride off into the sunset. Use the search, lots of info on this type of drive shaft setup.
    Yo! I found the part I needed locally!

Part: Housing ASM, Bearing
    Cost: $55.00
    Place: M&M Marine, Woodland, CA Phone: (530) 661-0074

I took off the Jet pump and pulled out the drive shaft with 4 Screws and disconnecting the reverse and steering cables. Replaced the Shaft bearing and reassembled the bearings and connecting hose outside the hull and then lined them up when re-inserting the drive shaft. The whole project would have taken about 20 minutes if I knew what I was doing.

Took it out on the water today and not a drop of water in the hull!

AWESOME! I didn't want to pay a shop $250.00 and pray I got it back in time for the weekend and Father's Day!

THANK YOU!!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's what it's all about!...

great deal finding that hard to find bit locally.

give that fitting a shot or two of grease after every couple of rides and you won't have to get in there anytime soon.

Thread Information