+1

New Owner Questions

Hi All,

I just purchased a 98 SLXH and a 96 PLE for 2k with the trailer. It seemed to be a good deal. Both are seemingly in good running order. I have a couple of questions though.

I have spent a good portion of two nights sifting through the pages on the forum and quite honestly, am quite concerned. It seems like there are a lot of problems with these watercraft. I'm hoping it's just because it's a forum and people are more prone to post if they have problems. I am fairly handy, but certainly not a mechanic.

So, here are my two questions.

1. Should I expect to have to do a lot of repairs on these machines, or is it mostly general maintenance. The previous owner didn't have many problems with them and did the basic maintenance.

2. We have a multi-day outing planned for next weekend. Is there anything I should do to these to make sure they're ready to go?

Thanks,

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Hi All,

I just purchased a 98 SLXH and a 96 PLE for 2k with the trailer. It seemed to be a good deal. Both are seemingly in good running order. I have a couple of questions though.

I have spent a good portion of two nights sifting through the pages on the forum and quite honestly, am quite concerned. It seems like there are a lot of problems with these watercraft. I'm hoping it's just because it's a forum and people are more prone to post if they have problems. I am fairly handy, but certainly not a mechanic.

So, here are my two questions.

1. Should I expect to have to do a lot of repairs on these machines, or is it mostly general maintenance. The previous owner didn't have many problems with them and did the basic maintenance.

2. We have a multi-day outing planned for next weekend. Is there anything I should do to these to make sure they're ready to go?

Thanks,

Mike
    First of all....Welcome aboard! Great to have you here. Second, you are correct! The reason forums exist is that someone has an issue somewhere and they need answers. No, your machines don't have any more issues than any other machines. I have been here for a while and there are AWESOME people on this forum who will help you with any questions you have. I have had all Polaris' and not one single major issue that is "common" with that machine. I think you will find that with some proper maintenance (and some maintenance tips that you didn't think of (fuel lines)) your boat is just as reliable as the next. As for your "multi-day" trip, there will be a lot of other replies. For my .02:

-grease the zirk fitting on the drive shaft
    -make sure you have your insurance card and registration with you
    -check over pump for items stuck in prop
    -get any water out of fuel filter
    -Have fun!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk, and the Polaris family

Click the links in my signature for lots of useful information.

As with many other Internet forums, the people who are not having any problems tend to not post. They only appear when they have a problem, or a question

Around here, you have the opportunity to learn enough about your machines that you can be proactive. Take the time to learn what are the common issues, and what things you can do to prevent them from causing you trouble.

What you should not do is assume that everything is just fine, and wait until something bad happens.

These high-power 2-stroke engines (of any brands) will not tolerate problems with the carburetors or the fuel system.

If you continue to run the machine without confirming that the fuel system is 100% good, you run the risk of significant engine damage. This damage can happen in just a few minutes or even seconds.

It is worth your while to make sure the entire fuel system is good. Click here for more details.

For each of your machines, work through the maintenance sections of the service manual.

While it may seem that the machines have been properly maintained by the previous owner, you can not be sure everything has been done, or done properly.

These machines are over ten years old. Things age - hoses develop cracks, clamps loosen, bearings and seals become worn.

Assume that nothing has been done, and take the time to go over the entire machine, from front to back. Check every bolt and nut, connection, fitting, and connector.

Lube everything that moves.

The only way to have reliable rides is for you to make the effort to make them reliable. This applies to every brand of PWC, not just Polaris.

I am not sure what Polaris models you have. There is no such thing as a Polaris PLE.

+1
    Sorry, the 96 is a SLX780.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Sorry, the 96 is a SLX780.
    Well then, you have one Polaris with a blue Fuji engine, and one with a red domestic engine.

That means more homework for you, since the two engines are different. Some things will be similar, and other things will be different.

When asking questions, be clear which model you are asking about, and which model the answers are referring to.

Don't get the machines, or yourself, confused

Sortsol-

This forum is the greatest resource a jetski owner could hope for!

Six months ago i purchased my first two skis (97 SLTX) and i can't begin to tell you how helpfull the people on this board have been.

There are some VERY kind and generous people on here.

Good luck with your new skis and i hope you have as much fun as we're having!

Thread Information