Thread: RXP Warranty

RXP Warranty

I'm thinking of installing a Riva L-2 on my 05RXP. I know there have been discussions about warranty issues and installing HP parts but wanted to know what others think. The dealer I bought the ski from told me as long as I don't go into the engine thye will honor the warranty. I'm not sure they can really stand by this statement, for example if someone installs NOS and blows the motor, I don't think they would repair it under warranty. I know this is an extreme example, but you get my point. Do those who have installed the L-2 kit write off their warranty and just assume the risk or do you believe if you had a failure it would be repaired under warranty? By the way, I'm not implying in any way that the L-2 kit would cause engine failure.

+1
    If your dealer told you that you are fine.

+1
    Hulk, leave already. Go on vacation. We promise not to have a party in the house while you are gone

+1
    LOL! we are about to leave. Just waiting on Carey to get her shit together

If the dealer who would be performing any warranty work has given you the ok, I would say go for it. Make sure you keep ALL the original parts just incase you need to reinstall them if the warranty becomes an issue.

Warranty issues relating to performance parts is somewhat a grey area.

Technically speaking, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act says that the manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim simply because you installed aftermarket parts. They CAN deny the claim if they can link the cause of the failure to the aftermarket part. That part is pretty cut and dry in theory.

The grey area comes in when the manufacturer is determining the cause of the failure. I've heard of stories where a dealer refused to warranty an engine problem because the customer installed an aftermarket impeller. They claimed it put too much stress on the engine. While that's arguable, it goes to show you the lengths that some dealers will go to avoid dealing with a problem machine.

I personally had a service writer try and tell me they wouldn't honor the warranty claim on my 03 pump flex problem because I had removed the pump from the ski for inspection. Needless to say, I but an end to that bullshit real quick.

Even if you were to tear into the engine yourself at some point, it does not necessarily void the warranty. They still have to show that your actions caused the failer.

Another misconception is that a dealer can void your warranty. This is simply not true. What they can do is deny specific claims based on the cause of the failure. For instance, if you install opas block-off's incorrectly, and they leak and swamp the boat, obviously the manufacturer is not responsible for the necessary repairs. But if the failure is not directly related to the opas block-off's the manufacturer cannot deny all claims simply because of the block-off's.

If your dealer has a good relationship with BRP, they are more likely to get things covered than other dealers.

Quite often, claims get denied because the tech and/or service writer cannot properly describe the situation to the manufacturer. Other times, the dealer assumes that the manufacturer will not cover the claim and refuses the work.

The real trick is finding a good dealer. If you do, build a good relationship with them, be loyal to them and they will take good care of you. Everyone likes to shop around for the best price when they buy a new ski, but best price doesn't always mean best service.

its real simple .... I tried to clear this up before ... if u can take it off and put your stock item on then they have to warranty it BOTTOM LINE ..... I dont care what you put on your ski I dont care if you put 6 motors in the hull with 400 shot of nitrous .. if u take it back to the dealer and he cant proove it you are fine .. when and if u blow your motor up take the day or so and put all your stock parts back on there is NOTHING they can say ... I been there done that with cars bikes quads boats etcetc ...

Thanks for the info. I agree with Thomas, the relationship with the dealer is important. Tha't why I bought my toys from one dealer. But the rubber hits the road when something happens and the dealer needs to stand up and walk the talk.

I also understand about returning it to "stock" condition. However, it can't always be done, such as in the case of drilling a hole for the rear exhaust mod, which is part of the Riva stage 2. I guess I was wondering if those who are modifing skis are assuming their warranties will hold up or if they feel any future failure will be at their cost. It's just one more factor in considering potntial costs and risks of the stage 2 mod. Or maybe timing on doing the mod; waiting until its out of warranty. Na, I can't wait another year I'm going to do it this winter damn it!

When it comes to irreversable mods, I usually wait untill the warranty runs out. That way, any issues that would have occured with the engine hopefully have happened and are resolved prior to the warranty running out.

I never quite seem to make it to the end of the warranty though before I start tearing things up. lol

Thread Information