Trouble with my Utility ski??

I have 2 waverunners, my 07 FX HO which I bought new, and love it, and a 2001 XL 700, which I have around for my sister, and whoever visits to ride. It's been great for the last 2-3 seasons, until this year when I put it back in the water. It didn't want to stay running, and wouldn't idle, kept re-starting it, but even after what I thought was way more than enough time to be warmed up, it still would want to die. It has brand new spark plugs in it, and I always fog the cylinders, and put sea foam in the fuel tank, and never had a problem. Well a few weekends ago, my sister decides to take it out, she can't get it to start, so I jump on, and after tinkering with the choke, and the throttle I get it running. She goes out, 10 mins later I'm towing her back in, now it's 100% dead NOTHING will work. I assume she killed the battery, so I charge it for a while, and still nothing. So I say I will go get a new battery, same thing, even charged the new battery to be 100% sure. So it's not the battery. I decide to look for anything else. I pull the cap that says fuse, and the buss fuse is blown, I think Jackpot!! I change it, and I have the same problem still, nothing no cranking, like there is absolutely no power?
    ANY IDEAS would be greatly appreciated? What else should I check?

Thank You,

Macungie, PA
    how many hours are on the ski?

Macungie, PA
    as for the running problem, sounds like a carburetion problem. maybe that carburetion problem lead to a seize up???? as for the electrical problem, get a test light and check if you got power at the starter.

Thanks for the help. Well I figured out the electrical problem it was the starter relay. So now I get it to want to fire, but still not running well. I assume from what I talked to a few guys it's the carbs needing to be cleaned.

I took the carbs off. Can anyone tell me what I need to take apart on the carb, and what to look for, what to clean etc. etc.?

Thank You!!!!

There are quite a few forums on carb cleaning already, you'll just have to do a little research.

Yeah i tried the search, and I didnt find anything Yamaha specific as far as what to look for and what needs to be cleaned, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

take it apart

Get out some tools and take it apart. You may need to place the carb on a block of wood, insert the screwdriver into the screws & hit the driver with a hammer. Take off the plate without the fuel lines first. Then remove the half moon shaped piece & the jets. Turn the carb over & take the pump apart, remove the needle & seat. There is a tiny fuel filter in the carb, besure the remove & clean it. Clean everything & put it back togather. I sure I forgot something, but this should get you started.

Thread Information