Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 GPR with no spark

Sorry for the newb question. We're in St. Augustine, and I want to get this thing started so I can flush it before too long.

I've checked the fuses, and disconnected the black and white wire from the start switch. I'm not getting a spark from all 3 cylinders, and I've tried new plugs. The battery is fully charged. It will also crank for about 6 seconds and stop. Kinda like the starter is getting hot. Probably unrelated to the spark issue, but I thought I'd mention it. We were riding in the surf, and it wouldn't start back up. I had to tow her back in on my Super Jet slowly.

Also, can I back flush it through the two fittings on the head to just flush the motor? I know it won't flush the exhaust or water box, but I want to get as much salt out as I can. Does water just come in the exhaust manifold, and out the head to the exhaust or pissers like my SJ?

Anybody?

I've double checked the fuses. The previous owner installed a D-plate, and put a resistor on the wires coming from the e-box.

There is no display, and the warning light is on. Is there any way to read codes on this thing?

+1
    One thing to check is that the accelerator cable is not kinked, stuck or salty ... there has to be a tiny bit of play in the cable before the throttle blades move or the ECU will not allow it to start. Look at the throttle on the bars ... make sure that there is a little movement of the throttle before the cable tightens and moves the carbs.

+1
    he said 2001, Vern

probably a bad or disconnected water temp sensor (rear bottom of pipe)

The temp sensor is probably the problem. I just looked at the bottom rear of the pipe and it's not connected to anything. Just 12 inches of black wire coming out of the pipe.
    Where does the rear water temp sensor connect? I can't see anything obvious. The display does have a small water temp symbol at the bottom.

There's also a connector with black/orange stripe and black/yellow stripe coming out of the e-box with a resistor. Also, a connector with orange and black/orange stripe that has a resistor on it. The previous owner said that was installed with the d-plate, so I think that part is okay.

I've been reading the service manual I found online, and it only tells how to test the water temp sensor. I can't figure out where this wire needs to go. It looks like it was cut.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by accbr View Post
    I've been reading the service manual I found online, and it only tells how to test the water temp sensor. I can't figure out where this wire needs to go. It looks like it was cut.
    it plugs in next to the cat temp sensor plug on the side of the CDI box... (3 connectors there total) should be a white 2 prong connector

The white 2 prong connector has one wire with a black/orange stripe and one with a black/yellow stripe coming out of the e-box with what looks like a resistor plugged into it. Is there a chance that the water temp sensor was spliced into that and fell out?

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar
    Its directly behind that plug and in front of the six pin connector

The six pin connector is the only one of the three that doesn't have a resistor plugged into it. Looks like it was bypassed. Can I just splice the water temp sensor back into the middle or left plug?

I read that the resistors are 1k ohm for cat and 10k ohm for water temp.

Here's a pic. They had electrical tape on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPR connectors (Medium).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	137897  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information