View Poll Results: what should I do with these doo's.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • fix both

13 29.55%
  • fix the better hull sell off the other one.

21 47.73%
  • keep the GTXL's

6 13.64%
  • keep one GTXL and the SLX

8 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picked up 2 98 GTXLs for restoration

Hey all,
    I had Polaris 2 seaters for years, but have been looking for a 3 seater project for a few years. I was leaning towards the Carb'd 951 GTX or Kawis 1100 STX. I wanted a 3 seater that would run mid 50's and was smooth and good handling in the rough water I usually ride in.

I found a good deal on 2 with blown engines (upper case cracked, cranks cooked, top ends, one broken sleeve). Its been tough to find a good deal on a project ski with machines getting carved up for ebay. Both engines had the PTO piston skirt break off and get digested. Little bits of piston even got blown back thru the reeds and into the carbs. I have been reading up on common problems with these machines here and there. Because of other projects these will have to wait until the fall, but I'm itching to get started.

I'm thinking about fixing both and selling the SL900. When they are done I will decide whether I want keep both GTXL's or a GTXL and the SLX.

Opinions on the GTXL or what took out the engines welcome. Man there are lots of water ingestion issues posted out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98 GTXLs rear.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	137758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	137759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	137760  

+1
    Based on the year of the boats and the damage they incured I would say the old gray fuel lines strike again.

The Tempo lines they used then would come apart on the inside and clog the fuel filters/carbs/fuel valve/what have you. Since the PTO carb is feed off the Mag carb, it tends to go lean first.

Before putting the engines back in you will want to go through the entire fuel system. There is a sticky at the top of the main page about it. Do this and you will be good when your new engines go in.

The water ingestion did not normaly involve that hull (mostly XPLs) except in the cases where the pipe mount bushings degraded and were not replaced or the pipe was not installed correctly (thus maintenance, or the lack of it, caused the failures).

You have to work hard to get water in the carbs on a Gen II GTX ('98-'02). Those are, IMO, some of the best boats SD ever made and they are great all around three seaters. In good form they will run in the upper 50s (without a lot of gas, that is) and they are stable boats that are still fun to ride.

I got a '99 GTXL and I love it.
    I'll second the tempo fuel line issue.
    The exhaust flange gaskets occasionally leaked on those motor, right down onto the carbs and the motor injested water that way.
    Its a shame to see a decent machine butchered and parted out.......

+1
    I voted that you keep them both but if you want to sell one let me know. I am looking for my Bro-in-law for a blown up boat we can fix up for him.

If the price is right, he might even be able to talk my sister-in-law into it...

When I went to check them out, one of the first things I noticed was that the infamous the grey Tempo fuel lines were still on them. Even as a Polaris guy, I knew about the Sea-Doo grey lines.

I'm not sure when they rolled out the updated flame arrestor for '99, but both of these have them, based on the parts diagrams. It is a pretty complicated baffle that looks like it should do a good job keeping water out.

I read so many 951 failure posts, I was lumping the XPL with the GTXL. So are the XPL's wet hulls or are people rolling them wrong?

Found this thorough article on getting a good exhaust manifold seal.
    http://www.sea-doo.net/techArticles/...asp?page=april
    I think I read your (krunchov) posts advising on replacing the bushings.

It is a shame to see parts on ebay with "ran good when I took it apart".
    Of course now I'm going to be looking for those parts.
    It's nice to hear positive opinions of these boats, I think they are going to be exactly what I want.

Stay tuned.... Thanks,

+1
    '98-'00 XPLs are wet because there are two large air tubes just in front of the tray that can not be sealed properly. In rough water you will get it over the bow and it goes right in under the hood and down the tubes into the hull. In '01 they moved the tubes up under the seat.

This is most problematic in the surf or while doing 360s and such. If you do enough without a nice long run at good speed to let the bailers work, you will get enough water in there to chance the engine taking a drink. Because of the size of the hull and position of the engine this is a threat. Rolling an XPL is also a problem since it is fairly easy to do and inevitably, someone rolls it the wrong way back.

On the GTXL, that problem is pretty much non-existent. For one, they are not bad to take on water no matter what you do (short of rolling it and that is danged hard to do). They also have a rather large hull and the engine sits fairly high.

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    My answer would be both #2 and #4: "fix the better hull, sell off the other one, then keep one GTXL and the SLX."

+1
    That's what mine looked like when I bought it a few years ago.

Like others have said that is a great hull that is decently fast and will tow just about anything you hook onto it. Rebuild it, go through the fuel system, rejet and install aftermarket flame arresters, make sure the pipe mounts are good and you will have a great reliable ski.

My plan is to restore both. I think that I'm going to want to have two 3 seaters. My SLX is definately worth more to me than what I could get for it or I might be more eager to sell it.

I've started to strip the hulls down for paint and body work. Here is some of the damage I have to fix. These holes go thru the hull, but shouldn't be too tough to fix.

Question on repairing the cowl. It seems to be SMC, but I have seen different opinions on repair. Some say epoxy and glass. My Polaris manual calls for a special 2 part adhesive by 3M for SMC. I have some Dynatron autobody flexible part repair epoxy that seems like it would work. It is too old to use though. I figure I will hit the local autobody supply shop to see what they have. Anybody have material reccomendations for fixing SMC or articles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowl Damage.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	145947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hole Above Bond Line.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	145948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hole Under Bond Line.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	145949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hole Under Bond Line Inside.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	145950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holes Poked Thru Hull.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	145951  

+1
    Through?

WTF?

You did not buy those boats, you rescued them.

I have always replaced the hoods so I can not help you there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information