Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How does the R&D grate increase top speed and accel?

I don't get it. I would think the wing is a drag on the ski

"The R&D Yamaha SHO Aquavein Intake Grate will significantly reduce cavitation, increase acceleration, add up to 1 mph on top end performance, and keep the pump loaded and hooked up!"

I'm not saying it isn't true, just maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle?

It lets you make other mods that will make the ski faster. There is info on the intake grates on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bpnta View Post
    I don't get it. I would think the wing is a drag on the ski

"The R&D Yamaha SHO Aquavein Intake Grate will significantly reduce cavitation, increase acceleration, add up to 1 mph on top end performance, and keep the pump loaded and hooked up!"

I'm not saying it isn't true, just maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle?
    RIVA says the same.... May be is true!!!

It would improve acceleration by reducing cavitation, but i think it mostly improves acceleration and top speed in the chop by keeping it hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by WavruninPWC View Post
    It would improve acceleration by reducing cavitation, but i think it mostly improves acceleration and top speed in the chop by keeping it hooked up.
    I read somewhere that not only doesn't improve acceleration but reduce it !

Yea, thats a good posibility, because of that wing, but theres so many factors that if you dont do back to back testing then it cant really be true info. Its hard to say right now because i havnt seen too much feed back on the grates yet.
    Last edited by WavruninPWC; 06-18-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: misunderstood previous post

+1
    Nope...it helps to load your pump, thus it helps acceleration as you move forward. We have used "scoop" grates for almost twenty years and a hundred different models, it works.

It may slow your ski or it may help it go faster top-end but you do not want to ride without one..no matter what mods you have. It is always a plus to have an aftermarket grate..it is the first mod to get on any ski IMO.

The OEM is only designed to keep objects out and allow water to flow in...that is all. When you begin to mod your ski, the flow characteristics change you need help to load the pump. With no help in load the water is sometimes "backwashed" back out the intake grate and causes the hull to do weird things...an intake grate helps to eliminate this problem.

Get an an aftermarket intake grate it is one of the wisest and best investments you'll ever purchase.

Yea, I have a FZS with a R&D grate and I can feel the difference, specially I feel more secure now after I was tossed out several weeks ago.

+1
    The R&D grate provide a little better rough water hookup but it will shave a little speed off in glass like conditions. I have the RIVA grate and lost no speed at all in glass conditions but also didn't gain any. I did however gain much better hookup in anything but glass conditions. I've talked to others who have had similar results. Jerry actually picked up .3 mph on his old SHO using the RIVA grate.

The only place you will actually GAIN speed is in the chop. Hope this helps. Your line of thinking on this is spot on.

it helps a lot with hook up in every condition but im not sure about helping with top speed or 0-30 yet as i havent had it on flat enough water to test that.i do know with the intake and the mods jim made to my plate, and with the trim set down, on full accel, the nose of the ski lifts up to about a 45 deg angle. If i pump the throttle, i can almost jump the ski completely out of the water

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information