97 SL780 bogs upon throttle when cold

Trying to get some advice here: My 97 SL780 is slow to take to the throttle when first starting out. When starting first thing in the day or after setting a half hour or so it will bog down and die if giving too much throttle. You have to really feather the thing to keep it running. After doing this for 1/4 mile or so it will finally clear itself and start running normal and be responsive to more throttle out of the hole. What does this sound like to you seasoned veterans? I am thinking carb issues? Last year I replaced all the fuel lines and rebuilt the fuel pump. It ran fine last season. This is the first weekend we've had it out this year and this issue is happening. Nothing else had changed from last season to this one. They were winterized and stored indoors all winter long. I initially thought it was just the fogging oil build up in the carbs that needed worked out and thought that running a day or so would have taken care of that problem. It is still acting the same though? Would you suggest running some sort of carb cleaner in with the fuel?

Thanks,
    Troy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you have not rebuilt the carbs anytime recently, now would be the time.

Click here for some related Fuji engine info and links.

Ok, thanks. That was my thoughts. Wasn't there someone on here who was rebuilding carbs if you sent them in? The local shop wants about $240 +any parts to remove and clean. Is that reasonable & customary?

Troy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    Ok, thanks. That was my thoughts. Wasn't there someone on here who was rebuilding carbs if you sent them in? The local shop wants about $240 +any parts to remove and clean. Is that reasonable & customary?

Troy
    Have a look at this thread.

$60 per carb for three carburetors, plus parts, doesn't sound out of line.

The general recommendation around here is to do the rebuild yourself. Cost will be lower, and you will learn exactly how these things go together.

Take your time, do one at a time, and you will know they were done properly.

And if there is ever an issue in the future with your carbs, you won't be afraid to dig in and fix it

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Try running the engine with the Flame Arrestor off and see if the carbs are dripping fuel. You may have a leaky needle.

Check to make sure the carb (low speed) adjustments are correct according to the on line manual.

Ok, thanks for the additional advice. I will try w/o arrestor and see if I can see fuel dripping. Had hoped a cleaning would solve. I took to the local Polaris dealer & service center. They removed and cleaned. Said needed no parts and all should be good. Well, $250 dollars later and it still runs the same. I don't know if they didn't test it out or what but hate spending the money and not getting results. Will take back and have a little talk with them but would like to have some more specific questions/answers to give them when I go. Will ask them how they set the adjustments. Any other suggestions from the group. Does this still sound carburetor related? Thanks,

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    To me it sounds like the low speed screws need to be turned out a bit more.

When it's cold, it will need a bit more fuel than when warmed up. I think that's whats happening. And when the engine is warm, it runs just fine.

Have you tried applying the choke when cold and taking off? Does that help or hinder the problem?

Thank you for those tips. I will try a little choke and see what the results are. And then I'll see about adjusting low speed screw setting out a little. Thank you again!

Thread Information