04 RXP Riva STG II Hi-Temp Alarm

I'm posting the question below for a friend that has an RXP STG II.

Thanks,

I have an '04 RXP Riva STG II. I just installed Riva's 158 thermostat in the boat along with the STG II kit. However, the hi-temp alarm keeps going off when I run hard (after 20 min or so). I have checked the exhaust lines and the IC lines for any blockage and there isn't any. The coolant in the overflow tank is beyond hot. I'm thinking thermostat problems. Do you know if there is an easy way to check the thermostat? Unfortunately, I forgot to check the ride plate temp. Also, could that thermostat be incompatible (somehow) with the Riva IC setup? I'm toying with the idea of reinstalling the stock thermostat, but it's impossible to get to and thought I would ask first.

Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    Try the easy things first .... a few of us have had some issues like this after installing new parts and it was almost always that we had knocked a sensor loose or off. Check the exhaust temp sensor (on the waterbox 'out' pipe) and the engine temp sensor (not sure where that one is) and make very sure that they are on securely.

I installed the 158 degree t-stat along with a bunch of other parts, had a temperature warning, hit mode five times, got the code, and it was for the exhaust temp sensor. Looked at it, it was not on correctly. So check for trouble codes too, that may pinpoint the problem.

Thanks Vern, he is going to check tonight and I'll repost his findings.

+1
    So what were the findings?

A piece of rubber had broken off and wedged itself in the exhaust. The manifold was replaced under warranty. Not sure if the tech told him where the piece of rubber came from.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    I had a similar problem to this when I installed the Riva thermo...Jerry suggested I had a bubble in my cooling system and to run it on the hose with the coolant tank lid off for a while...

I let it run for about 15-20 minutes as suggested and went out Saturday with no problem so hopefully that fixed it...

The problem would come out just as you described and then after the ski sat for a minute or two I could crank it back up...the hi temp alarm would go off for a few seconds and then it was gone and would not come back the rest of theday...Additionally when I pulled the seat after the alarm there was no coolant in the tank but after cranking it back up and the alarm going away it would be full again...

Thread Information