Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Better to Premix or Not??

1996 Yamaha WaveVenture 1100. Have the block-off plate, now wondering if I should install it.

Would appreciate any input--boat has 200 hours on it, runs great, good pressure in all cylinders, all within about 1 pound of each other. Smokes a little more at idle than other 2 strokes I've seen.

Here's the deal, have some people telling me if it's running good now, don't mess with it, oil pumps very rarely fail (but boat does have 200 hours). Other people telling me they do fail, so go to premix now to avoid taking chance of oiler failing.

So, really would appreciate any and all input...

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zues View Post
    1996 Yamaha WaveVenture 1100. Have the block-off plate, now wondering if I should install it.

Would appreciate any input--boat has 200 hours on it, runs great, good pressure in all cylinders, all within about 1 pound of each other. Smokes a little more at idle than other 2 strokes I've seen.

Here's the deal, have some people telling me if it's running good now, don't mess with it, oil pumps very rarely fail (but boat does have 200 hours). Other people telling me they do fail, so go to premix now to avoid taking chance of oiler failing.

Thanks!
    Its not typically oil pump failures that kill engines, its when the oil lines become brittle and break/fall off

I've always pre-mixed my ski's

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zues View Post

Thanks!
    if it gone this long-leave it alone if your going to mod premix
    as far as smoking what oil you using? make a difference

cd

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    if it gone this long-leave it alone if your going to mod premix
    as far as smoking what oil you using? make a difference

cd
    Yamalube, supposedly that's all that ever been run in it, seems to have worked pretty well...

I had the 1996 venture 1100 for many years i loved that ski it has the cooler built into the nose under the front bucket right , and never had a problem in all the years with the stock oil pump , sold it and bought a 2004 xlt1200 with like 12 hours and had it for 18 months and at 55 hours it is getting rebuilt because i did not put the oil plate in, the #3 cylinder oil line was just laying there not hooked up when we took the exhaust off the pumps dont fail the oil lines do i thought about this mod last year but liked the oil injection I WILL NEVER HAVE A SKI WITH OIL INJECTION AGAIN all premix now cant trust it Block off plate = 16 dollars and some wrenching new rebuild on motor at least 2000 depends how many cylinders you lose,you make the choice. Ron

+1
    if it was any other ski id say put the plate in but i personallyown two ventures 700 and they both have 150 hrs on them no bloack off kits and they actually smoke alot at idle like urs does i run tcw3 oil sometimes yamalube soimetimes quicksilver. depoends wats on sale by me

id leve it alone u got 200 hrs out of that top end already i think thats alot

good old school yamis u cant kill em

+1
    i always think towards its better safe than sorry. if you mix it then you always know its getting oil. if you go with oil injection then you just hope for the best until it goes boom but it may never go out. good plus to premix is it will probably fix smoking on the bottom end some.

hi guys I have a 96 waverider 1100 I just broke my engine because my oil pump stop working, every body toll me to pre-mix but I never pay attention. now I need a engine, did some one know where to find it?

Premix

Both my 2002 Yamaha XL700, and 2000 XP run premix, you at least always know the engine is getting oil, and that makes me sleep better at night, true it can be kinda a pain maixing all the time but for me I dont mind.

Premix is safer at least in my opinion.
    With premix there can't be a oil pump failure or brittle oil lines!

I switches to premix on my GPR and it just makes me feel safer to get the right mix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information