Intake Grate entirely off

If you took your intake grate completely off would you expect your RPMS to go up or down at WOT? Just trying to narrow down some problems Im having. RXP 2007

+1
    I wonder what that would do to the pumpshoe.

+1
    Do not take your grate off...Not safe. Start by cheking the usual stuff first ; prop, wear ring, nose cone, boost leaks, SC clutch slip, bad gas,oil ,over filled plugs, coil packs..etc.

Thats what sort of spawned this whole thing. my grate bolt snapped and caused my grate to fall off causing the pump shoe to break near the bolts. Brp is replacing this under warranty. but with the grate competely off and in smooth water you would think you would get higher rpms due to less rescriction in the water. but im getting 400 less (7700) vs 8160 i use to be getting. Im seeing if its a oil issue rather than a grate issue.

FYI if you decide to do run with your grate off it is loads of fun. (like trying to control a 900 hp car in rain) but do remember to put the front bolt back in, I did not an almost sank my boat. lesson learned but still concerned about the rpm issue however. any thoughts ?

What's the chances that a bolt or part of the grate got sucked into the pump damageing the impeller?

+1
    Little off topic but what is the black adhesive used to mount the Intake Grate and how can I remove it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toilets View Post
    Thats what sort of spawned this whole thing. my grate bolt snapped and caused my grate to fall off causing the pump shoe to break near the bolts. Brp is replacing this under warranty. but with the grate competely off and in smooth water you would think you would get higher rpms due to less rescriction in the water. but im getting 400 less (7700) vs 8160 i use to be getting. Im seeing if its a oil issue rather than a grate issue.

FYI if you decide to do run with your grate off it is loads of fun. (like trying to control a 900 hp car in rain) but do remember to put the front bolt back in, I did not an almost sank my boat. lesson learned but still concerned about the rpm issue however. any thoughts ?

Just the broken shoe will cause a couple hundred rpm loss so I'm sure the missing grate and broken shoe could easily cause a 400rpm drop.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    H2HO's RXP dropped to 7400-7500 rpm when his riva grate decided to completely rip off He still rode it the rest of the day... he couldn't keep that thing in the water for chit

Thread Information