Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leak in hull... has to be the ride plate

I just put the ride plate back on and now the ski fills up/drains water when on the river or if I fill it up with the hose.

The ONLY place I can see where it would be coming from is the middle bolt on the ride plate.

What has me baffled is the amount of water that comes in / out of that one hole where there is already a bolt screwed into...

Is it possible for that much water to come in go out (steady stream out) from just that one bolt hole?

Also... I used ultra black hi temp silicone when bolting up the plate. I swear people use this stuff on these hot plates, but when testing the bilge pump (filling the ski up with water) I don't remember it leaking although I could have missed it.
    Point is... is the ultra black durable enough to hold up to the heat??

What kind of heat do you get back there on the ride plate, IMO Im sure the black is good for alot of heat.

Banned User
    +1
    The amount of water in the hull does not have enough pressure to drip out, but in the water it has the pressure to come in...

I battled this issue for a long time and the more I rode, the more water came in...I ended up removing my rideplate the other day, found that the head of the front bolt snapped off, even though it was under a filled ride plate hole...

Turns out, the plate could move up/down about a 1/16th, which under speed, would be a LOT MORE...Water had forced the silicone away from the main coolant tube, and would fill the hull with water...Faster I rode, more water came in

You have to give the sealant ample time to dry, I am gonna give mine a week before I even think about putting it back in the water...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The amount of water in the hull does not have enough pressure to drip out, but in the water it has the pressure to come in...

That's the thing.. I can fill mine up with a garden hose and it leaks out at a decent rate...steady stream off the end of the ride plate.

Turns out, the plate could move up/down about a 1/16th, which under speed, would be a LOT MORE...Water had forced the silicone away from the main coolant tube, and would fill the hull with water...Faster I rode, more water came in

Are you supposed to put sealant around the 2 main cooling fittings that go through the hull? The parts fiche doesn't indicate that so I did not... if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure, just from draining and filling while watching that my leak is at the middle ride plate hole.BUT Even without sealant and the bolt screwed in you would think it couldn't leak that fast (water out).

You have to give the sealant ample time to dry, I am gonna give mine a week before I even think about putting it back in the water...

Uhhh.. the tube says 24 hours under normal conditions... why a week?

Banned User
    +1
    Yea, you are suppose to goop the heck out of it...

I wait a few days, my personal preference...some people wait a few hours, then it continues to leak...

Nice of the fiche to point that out. Shoulda known. I sjould be able to hit that from the inside of the hull ... No??

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
    Nice of the fiche to point that out. Shoulda known. I sjould be able to hit that from the inside of the hull ... No??

spend the extra 30 minutes, pull the plate, clean off everything, start fresh...

Uhhh... not a 30 minute job for me. I'll prob. end up breaking the fittings which means I'll have to split the ride plate and the list goes on.

I can't remember if I siliconed around those holes or not... I have to look down there and see if silicone is squirting up through the hole.

The more I think about it though... the more I'm convincing myself that is the only way possible to leak that much water from inside the hull. DAMN>>>>>

Banned User
    +1
    However long it takes is nothing when you are in the middle of a lake and sinking fast

I just don't see why you can't seal it off from the inside of the hull by really packing the ultra black around the main cooling fittings.... that's all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information