Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 GP1200R flame arrestor advice

First let me say thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I am a new member and have learned wonders over the past few days. My question is whether to replace the stock air box with aftermarket flame arrestors. The ski is basically stock with a d-plate and aftermarket impeller, although I'm not sure what kind because I bought it used. The impeller has a blue anodized collar if that helps. Anyway, I removed the carbs because of a problem and while they're off was thinking about changing the air intake. I am sending the carbs to Island Racing for a rebuild and whatever jetting they recommend.

I ride in both river conditions with very mild chop and in bay conditions. I am worried about getting water into the motor by adding aftermarket FAs if I ride in the bay. I see my options as being to keep the stock air box, put a cone filter on the airbox itself, or go for a whole new FA setup directly on the carbs. Do you think it's worth it to change the stock setup and will I see noticeable gains? I don't plan on doing any internal engine work, but will eventually be changing ride plates, grates, etc. Also, if I decide to keep the stock air box assembly, would it be useful to add T-handles to the carbs? It just seems so tight down there that I may not even be able to adjust the carbs with the stock waterbox on and basically eliminating the use of T-handles.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    If you are going to add F/A's then you will need to tell Carl to jet for it. You have to chose one or the other. The ski performs better with F/A's and rejet, no doubt about it.

Okay, thanks. I did tell Carl about it, but am now having second thoughts. I just want to make sure. I was just wondering if anyone has suffered water ingestion problems with these mods. Is it worth it to put an aftermarket FA on the stock air box or go with a whole aftermarket setup?

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Put the aftermarket FA's on it, also have carl send you the bilge pump kit he has... Then you should be ok for getting the water out... Def add the t-handles, then you could adjust with only removing the stinger... You will love the difference of the reworked carbs...

okay, I'll go with the aftermarket FA's. Thanks for the advice. Now I only have to decide which ones. I'm thinking three separate filters such as the Tau Cetis...

A lot of people use the protec or the riva I went with R&D Power plenum filter it is one large filter instead of three seperate ones I think it will flow just as good or better

+1
    I use Prok or Fly (same thing) with Pro-tec adapters. This is my preffered set-up and I recommend it to my customers. Of course if you can find a deal go for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC 226.jpg 
Views:	930 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	138110  

that's a sweet setup. I just ordered the same one from Carl.

Where do I get the pro-k flame arrestors and adapters? I see the riva ones for sale but I like the look of those pro-k's better and i'm kind of hoping for a better price than the rivas.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    http://www.islandracing.net/gp1200r.html

PROK-FAK-44Y-3 $199.95 GP1200R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information