Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Changing Rings on a 4Tec

I know that the easy answer is to change them (I have the engine apart), but I have a set with 100 hours that look brand new. At $200 a set - I am at least asking myself the question "do I really need to change them". Can you guys help guide me a little here??????

Just based on hours, or is there something else to look at?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    I know that the easy answer is to change them (I have the engine apart), but I have a set with 100 hours that look brand new. At $200 a set - I am at least asking myself the question "do I really need to change them". Can you guys help guide me a little here??????

Just based on hours, or is there something else to look at?
    the way to look at rings, is remove them from the piston put them in the bore and measure (with feeler gauges) the distance between the gap in the ring, there must be tolerences somewere on this site which will help you determin wether to reuse them, regards bill, ps in my opinion i think they'll be ok 100 hours is'nt a lot

+1
    Thanks Bill. I haven't seen the spec, but I will look. Did the starter work out OK?

+1
    yes it will be great as a spare as my mates have 4tecs and its handy to have on the shelf, thanks again

Hi my friend

100 hours in a hand of rec rider is one thing. 100 hours in a hand of a racer or hard ridings is another thing
    in my case i double the hours cause of my riding style, ( some races and many tests at wot)
    i donīt know your riding style

+1
    The rule of thumb for end-gap on FI engines is .005-.006" per inch of bore. That puts it at .020 - .024" for our engines. If it's over about .028, I'd change them. I've run as much as .030 on new engines running a lot of boost.

I've been rebuilding alot of motors lately, and is it really reliable to re-use piston rings? My engine builder is super anal (in a good way) and has so far refused to use anything but new rings (that I supply). Is this a common practice to re-uses rings that are low hours, and within spec? What about cam chains that are within spec? Head bolts (I never re-use these, but just asking)

+1
    you should be able to find rings cheaper then you stated. I am in the middle of rebuild and have been shoping lately. if you pull your pistons I would replace rings and hone cylinder walls while you have it apart, especially if its a high boost engine. GOODLUCK!

my ring's stories

hi,

last friday we were open my engine because i see many clean oil in TB and outside pipe of IC. So, after opening we can see that Top rings clearance 3,5 mm !!! Bottom "only" 2,5 mm !!! All after engine running 29+ hours. Sleeves all have ok, pistons also. Now we installing CP pistons not BRP.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by repsol View Post
    hi,

last friday we were open my engine because i see many clean oil in TB and outside pipe of IC. So, after opening we can see that Top rings clearance 3,5 mm !!! Bottom "only" 2,5 mm !!! All after engine running 29+ hours. Sleeves all have ok, pistons also. Now we installing CP pistons not BRP.
    Where are you buying your CP pistons, still shoping for oversized. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information