Exclamation Please Help!!!! Seadoo GSX.... 15 amp fuse

Hey guys,
    I recently bought a 98 Seadoo Gsx limited. The guy I bought it from said the seadoo dealer told him it need a new computer “mpem” and a stator. When I got the ski home I started to take it apart and I noticed there was a 20amp fuse in slot 1 where it calls for 15amp fuse" BATT" slot, so I replaced the fuse with a 15amp. I also took a look at the Vts. I pulled the cover off and there was some moisture the wires and the motor where corroded. So I then disconnected the Vts. Then I tried to start the ski, I got it to turn over and eventually start/run. If I gave the ski any gas it would pop the fuse and die. I then put a second fuse in the ski and it started but the gages where flashing and the low 12v was on. I then put another fuse in the ski and it popped as soon as I put it in. I don’t want to throw a bunch of money and parts into the ski so if any one has any suggestions or incite into this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you Nick

+1
    First off you can kick the crap out of who ever put that 20amp fuse in there. If the MPEM was not bad before it may be now.

That said, there is a test for the mag in the manual (you can look at it online in the stickys above the main page). If a piece of flywheel/starter drive tooth has broken off it can short the mag and cause all kinds of grief. The MPEM itself could also be causing this so use the test to eliminate one (if possible, it really could be both).

Good luck.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey Nick...welcome to GH!

Unplug the whole VTS module to eliminate it from the equation. Then, if it still blows the 15 amp(do NOT install a larger one) pull the front cover of the engine. Very frequently metal shavings off the bendix accumulate on the magneto and short the stator to the magneto. Or the pickup, but the 5 amp fuse blows then.

Tips and tricks: Don't ever jump a Doo, and charge no more than 2 amps.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    First off you can kick the crap out of who ever put that 20amp fuse in there. If the MPEM was not bad before it may be now.

That said, there is a test for the mag in the manual (you can look at it online in the stickys above the main page). If a piece of flywheel/starter drive tooth has broken off it can short the mag and cause all kinds of grief. The MPEM itself could also be causing this so use the test to eliminate one (if possible, it really could be both).

Good luck.
    Quick typer...

Please Tell me this will work?!?!

The ski now will turn over all day long but i cant get it to start. I did a little reaserch and i found a guy who i think was having th same issue and this is what he did.

"Anyway to help you out in the wiring All I did was get a regulator for a 98 spx it was like $45 dollars at dennis kirk it's made by WSM. I'm pretty sure your mpem is in the same place as mine, front of hull on left hand side of boat. If I remember correctly (ski up at lake) it was the bottom connector closest to the fuses that has the 3 solid yellow wires coming from the stator (An ohmmeter can verify which three by disconnecting the connector at the stator side and checking for continuity). If you look into the connector it's the bottom 3 wires and has the flat spade connections instead of the smaller round ones that the majority of the other wires use. I just clipped the 3 yellow wires about 2" back from the connector and this is where I soldered on some same quage yellow wire to extend to the external regulator. I ended up drilling 2 holes into the large metal plate the MPEM mounts to and mounted the external regulator on the back of it. The external regulator has 4 wires and the case is ground 3 yellow (stator connections), 1 red (+12 regulated ~14v). I also ran a 10 or 12 guage ground wire from the mounting bolt for the regulator back to the left front edge of the stator cover where several other wires grounded. Then a 10 or 12 guage hot wire straight back to the battery. I soldered and heat shrinked all connections. I have been up to the lake a couple of times since and it's been running great. The 12v low still pops up, but when i tested it in the garage on the water hose at idle it was charging at 4 to 5 amps. One other thing to note is I have always had problems with the battery going dead if I don't use it for 2 to 3 weeks and finally took the time to measure the standby current draw it was 35mA so I have now decided the best thing to do is either disconnect the battery when done riding (kinda a pain) or pull the cover to the rear electrical box and pop out the 15 am fuse (what I do - no tools needed) or you could pull the front 15amp fuse to the mpem."

When I noticed the Vts motor was bad I disconnected the two wires that go to the motor. Is that good enough or do I need to disconnect something else? If so can I pull the 7.5amp fuse that is in the 3rd slot in the mpem? One more question if the mpem was bad wouldn’t it blow the 5amp fuse? The reason I ask because that’s what it was doing on my old HX. Thanks for the help guys
    -Nick

+1
    pieces from the bendix shorted out your stator.

Question

How do I check if this is the issue?

Thread Information