Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPR Help!!

GPR Help!!

Hey everyone,
    I know you guys get annoyed when people ask the same questions over and over but I have been searching and I am yet to find a problem quite like mine. I pulled my carbs off my 2001 GP1200R last week because they were sticking. I cleaned them and they work fine once I get it started. My ski has became very hard to start. It just doesn't want to fire up. I just changed the plugs and I've been running 32:1 premix. When I was riding it today it started to bog in some choppy water at about 52 or 53. Just before I was ejected the throttle picked back up again. Could the be a fuel pump. Does it tie in with the starting problem? To get it to start I have to use starter fluid. I made a small hole in my air box just so i can spray starter fluid in there. It is about half the size of a pencil, just big enough for me to fit the straw in there. Could this hole throw off something if it isn't plugged? Please bare with me I'm new to this stuff. Sorry if this was another dumb question!!!!

If it matters I use Yamalube 2W.

+1
    Bad idea to spray starter fluid in the carbs on a twostroke. Check to make sure you dont have a fouled spark plug, loose wiring, clogged fuel line/fuel filter. Did you change the jets, pop off pressure, any of the springs in the carbs? Check the needle and seats and the diaphram? Did you mess with the low or high speed screws on the carbs? Alot of questions to be answered. I suggest contacting Osidebill and possibly just sending them to him or WFO Performance for a rebulid if you do not have experience with rebuilding them. Sorry for not being able to give you a easy fix answer.

+1 on the carbs, sounds like they need more than a cleaning a rebuild is prob in order, pm osidebill he is the carb man, he will rebuild yours or sell you another set, great guy to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by cuda167 View Post
    +1 on the carbs, sounds like they need more than a cleaning a rebuild is prob in order, pm osidebill he is the carb man, he will rebuild yours or sell you another set, great guy to deal with

he is definitely the guy to rebuild yours or buy from. i bought a set from him and he was an incredible help. he will help you with any probs or questions even after the sale. he helped me out several times. he is definitely an asset to the jetski community

I am going to send them to Bill but first I would like to try a few of the more obvious things. I reused my gaskets so I figured one might have a leak. Is 32:1 the right oil mix? I never touched anything on the carbs. I am going to try to find an OEM fuel filter this week. Do these skis have a fuel pump that might cause my problem?

+1
    Fuel delivery can be restricted by a few things on these skis.
    Upstream issues from carbs.
    1. plugged main filter (change each season).
    2. fuel selector corroded, try running on reserve setting and see if it is different.
    3. trap door blocking pick -up's in tank http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39216
    If these are not hindering fuel delivery then it might be in your carbs, they have internal filters that get clogged or they just need rebuilt. Each carb has it's own fuel pump built into it. Keep in mind that if you are running and the prop comes unhooked you will hit the rev limiter and this will cause your ski to fall off too.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Fuel delivery can be restricted by a few things on these skis.
    Upstream issues from carbs.
    1. plugged main filter (change each season).
    2. fuel selector corroded, try running on reserve setting and see if it is different.
    3. trap door blocking pick -up's in tank http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39216
    If these are not hindering fuel delivery then it might be in your carbs, they have internal filters that get clogged or they just need rebuilt. Each carb has it's own fuel pump built into it. Keep in mind that if you are running and the prop comes unhooked you will hit the rev limiter and this will cause your ski to fall off too.
    Thanks Bill that was exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm going to do these things and get back with you.

I decided the 1st thing I'm going to do is change the filter. Then I am going to bypass the selector valve. I have been searching this site for some directions on how to bypass the fuel selector valve. Would it be OK to run the reserve line straight from the tank to the fuel filter? If this is wrong will someone give me some detailed instructions or send me a link.

Also, where could I find a fuel filter? Thanks so much for you guys trying to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information