Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

New R&D CC/Offshore Intake Grate...Hmmmm

As reported in a previous thread, I put this new R&D grate on our Open boat & ran it in a 1 hr. moto in very rough conditions. The grate performed very well. That was the good news. The bad news is, when i took the grate off today to replace it with the regular R&D "X" grate I found both of the runners to have cracks 3/4's of the total height of the runners. This was on the aft or rear side of the intake.

Maybe an isolated incident but I want everyone who bought one of these to be aware & keep a close watch on your grates. It would have been pretty ugly if it had completely snapped under full throttle.

Jerry, do you want me to send this to you to look at or send it back to R&D or just chalk it up as $160.00/hr. to use one of these?

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D Intake.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	138116  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Dawg View Post
    As reported in a previous thread, I put this new R&D grate on our Open boat & ran it in a 1 hr. moto in very rough conditions. The grate performed very well. That was the good news. The bad news is, when i took the grate off today to replace it with the regular R&D "X" grate I found both of the runners to have cracks 3/4's of the total height of the runners. This was on the aft or rear side of the intake.

Maybe an isolated incident but I want everyone who bought one of these to be aware & keep a close watch on your grates. It would have been pretty ugly if it had completely snapped under full throttle.

Jerry, do you want me to send this to you to look at or send it back to R&D or just chalk it up as $160.00/hr. to use one of these?

Doug
    psssst!!!! your grates cracked! that's no good man. glad you limited it to 1 hr though. no injuries this summer!

+1
    Dang Doug, that sucks. Glad it didnt rip off while racing.

That is breaking at a wierd place to be under load. Did it mount ok without any binding????

So it out performed the regular R and D intake grate? Doug, have you tried a worx to compare?? I am running it on the T-X and love it, except for the gas consumption. I just ask since it hangs down low like the R and D CC grate..

Glad you caught in time.
    Last edited by skoepp; 06-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.

+1
    It mounted with no problem. I've been using the Worx all Spring & used it in the Saturday Moto. I was going to try speed comparison's on all the grates again when I found the issue with the new grate. I will probably just modify the Stock grate some for the real rough stuff instead of buying another one of these, unless R&D wants to replace this one..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Dawg View Post

Doug
    Doug, Glenn at R&D will be calling you!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Doug, Glenn at R&D will be calling you!
    Another example of the best customer service in the business.

Again, I'm not condeming this new grate, I'm just concerned for safety reasons.

Doug

+1
    Glad you caught it before it broke, Doug. Could have been ugly. Don't want to see any GH brothers taking the leap (over the handlebars).

+1
    Update. Received call from R&D this morning asking me to return the grate for analysis & they would be sending a replacement. Very nice customer service & quick response. Thanks to Jerry & Glenn.

Doug

Let us know the outcome. I ran this grate at the last supercourse race on Saturday but put the Riva one back on for the Sunday race. I didn't notice anything wrong with it yet, but I only have an hour on it. I wish I would have done some number test between the grates. It seemed to me to have scrub a little speed off, but like I said haven't done any real comparing yet.
    Thanks

+1
    Glad to hear nobody got hurt from that also glad your being taken care of Doug!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information