Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

04 RXP fuel and spark but still one dead cylinder

Ok first a little back ground on this particular gem.

A friend of mine has an 04 RXP and last year found out a champion spark plug that fits our application and installed it. This is a friend of mine that also thinks that flipping a wear ring is "ghetto rigging". He got what he payed for and one of the plugs broke off a large chunk taking out a big piece of one of the exhaust valves. No damage happened to the head,cylinder,or piston. Lucky as a mofo i know right. I replaced the valve and lapped it in. later that year a coil cracked and the rectifier died.

Fast forward to this year a season later. Two more coils have cracked and were since "fixed" with right stuff. Recently the ski has dropped a cylinder and is apparently getting fuel (visual inspection of firing injectors) and apparently getting spark (visual inspecton of spark plug ark out of the head while in the coil). He also tried the coils of his 08 RXT-X in the RXP with the same result.

One thing i thought about is is it possible that even though the cam timing was dead on balls when i put everything back together after the valve damage is it possible that the cam bolts could have loosened and caused the timing to be thrown off far enough to drop a cylinder? The ski is also showing a code 0351 for an ignition problem on cylinder #1. Seeing spark isn't good enough for me since only 2 weeks ago i had an XP show spark and wouldn't fire even starting fluid or carb cleaner. The problem with that is that the coil box was full of water. This has made me a skeptic of the visual test since that spark was obviously getting blown out when in the cylinder. Honestly i'm stumped.

Have you tried moving the coil in cylinder 1 to another cylinder to see if the code moves? Have you checked the resistance of the primary and seconday windings. IIRC, the primary coil should read ~1 ohm, and the secondary winding ~10-k ohms. And don't forget that the coil fires when the +12v turns off, not on... Ron

+1
    Have you checked compression?

I really don't think it's the cam timing. That wouldn't cause that problem.

Sure sounds like a weird ignition problem. I'm assuming you've tried it with a different coil and plug on that cylinder?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Have you checked compression?

I really don't think it's the cam timing. That wouldn't cause that problem.

Sure sounds like a weird ignition problem. I'm assuming you've tried it with a different coil and plug on that cylinder?
    I told him to check compression but he said the gauge he had didn't fit the thread so he put his hands over the spark plug holes and said it felt strong. 80 psi can still feel strong though. I have a nice Matco digital compression tool at the shop but the ski hasn't made it there. We switched the coils around and even swapped the coils from his 08 RXT-X in and still the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Have you tried moving the coil in cylinder 1 to another cylinder to see if the code moves? Have you checked the resistance of the primary and seconday windings. IIRC, the primary coil should read ~1 ohm, and the secondary winding ~10-k ohms. And don't forget that the coil fires when the +12v turns off, not on... Ron
    How can i check the windings? Do i test for ohms across the pins of the coil? I hate electrical problems like this in the worst way. I appreciate the help. The other thing that doesn't help is the fact that i'm doing a lot of this over the phone with him so that never helps.

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual_0000.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	601.1 KB 
ID:	138165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual_0001.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	565.0 KB 
ID:	138166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual_0002.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	561.1 KB 
ID:	138167  

+1
    Thanks!

Thread Information