Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

overheat, losing coolant, full throttle, max speed OK, RXP-X 20hours

Hi guys,

recently bought a used RXP-X 08 at 20 hours. I have used it for two hours but I am not satisfied with it.

eveything works fine, top speed is just like my buddies (70mph), but when I hold full throttle the coolant boils into the overflow tube and goes into the engine bay. my buddy even got a warning light for overheat.

where do I start? if the intercooler was blocked, it should not have reached top speed? j-pipe is nothing to do with inner-coolant-loop?

hope someone can help or please guide me to where to read more

thanks,
    Jon, Norway

+1
    Worst case--might be a head gasket. Thermostat might not be opening as it should. You do not have a J pipe. Intercooler would not affect coolant as you describe.

+1
    Sounds like hesd gasket too me, the coolent system is being presurised with hot combustion charge which would make it hotter and increase the presure in the system which would blow coolent out the bottle. My 0.2 any ways. have you checked compression?? also there is a product that you can add to the coolent that changes colour when there are gasses from the combustion process in the coolent. R88

+1
    Stuck thermostat could also be a issue...

+1
    Just had a similar problem with a 2006 RXp - head was warped .007 - It had over heated once because the water pump housing cracked - They put a new water pump in - then it started to "boil over" at high speed. We removed the head and measured the warp. Good luck

Tim

isnt it still under warrenty... take it to them to make sure there are going to be no issues down the road.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the head gasket, boiling over overflow bottle is number one sign of exhaust gas entering the coolant stream. A pressure check done on the cooling system with the plugs out and the oil fill cap open will show if it is the headgasket or not.

Doubtful that the old timer car tricks like black pepper in the coolant or silver seal will apply to a modern ski engine. I would suggest not making a bad problem worse and avoid those famous shade tree techniques.

Now you might have a huge bubble in the cooling system try bleeding it to see what happens.

thanks a lot for your response!!

we put in some normal tap water, so the coolant tank was blank, then turned it on.. it didn't take long time before it went blue, so I think the thermostat is fine.. (hoped IT was the problem :P )

we also looked for bubbles in the coolant tank, and yes, there is some, and more on higher revs, so I think the problem is the head gasket

anyone got a manual stating the process of removing and replacing it? do I need new extension screws or just the gasket?
    Last edited by xdsl; 06-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.

+1
    Attached Files Attached Files

just ordered the parts needed for head gasket change, when we thought we had to be 100% sure that the head gasket was the error...

so now we have run several full throttle / speed runs with engine bay open and a CO2 tester in the coolant tank.. NO CO2!! (I don't know what bubbles we saw earlier..) Im sort of happy, cause the head gasket is a major job, but its better to know what the error is then not.. then it must be the thermostat or coolant pump? any manual for replacing these parts?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information