Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 xp 717 hard start

Got an XP that I bought not running. Have put quite a bit of time and money in it so far. Long story short it really only needed a battery to run but all the accessories were shot, VTS fuel gauge etc. Had it out yesterday and it ran great on the top end, had to go through an idle speed zone and the exhaust note didn't sound quite right. Pulled off at a sand bar and shut it off to check it out and it wouldn't restart. It tries to catch and dies. Tried some starting fluid into the carbs, no change. I finally was able to get it started and it ran good on the top end. Mid-range and idle sucked. No throttle response in the low or mid RPMs. It is really stumping me. Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    Just for clarification, if it is white on green it is a '94 and has a 657. If it is white on yellow it is a '95 and has a 717.

That said, it sounds like you need to go through the fuel system. Does it have the gray fuel lines? If so, they are probably coming apart and clogging you carbs. It could be that the fuel was left in it a long time. This can varnish and clog carbs and valves and what have you.

sorry its a 95. my only problem with that idea is that it runs too good at higher rpms. if it was a fuel flow problem it should idle ok and mid throttle ok but not run at full throttle. that is opposite of what I am having. i have no low end. it is very very hard to start. when i do eventually get it started it has no throttle resonse and no low rpm power. I was thinking the low circuit in the carb or maybe timing. I dont know what controls the advance on the ignition timing?

any other thoughts? This ski is really pissing me off!!

As posted pull the carb and go through it clean ALL passages may not need gaskets if you are careful, CLEAN the tiny fuel filter, and change the grey fuel lines,

I will try that this weekend. I am an automotive guy not a two stroke guy so I will take your word for it. You all have a ton mor experience than I do on these things. Thanks!

+1
    Do not worry about the timing advance. If anything, a 2-stroke needs the timing to retard on top.

Keep in mind that a two stroke running just lean will run better (as in faster) than one that is right on with the mix. This is good, right? Well, no.

If it is lean enough it will get to top rpm and then start to sag back down. But, until it gets to that point, it can be rich enough to run (and leaned out they run very well) but too lean to live. Prolonged use in those conditions WILL result in damage.

Because of the rather fixed nature of the engine (they really do operate the most efficiently at WOT) you will see more pronounced symptoms (be you too rich or too lean) in the off-idle to mid-range zones.

You could be rich or lean. Based on the hard start issue (I assume this is cold and or all the time) I am thinking you are too lean. An engine that is too rich will cold start very well but then be a PITA to start when warmed up.

Try putting a bottle cap full of fuel in each cylinder through the spark plug holes. Stick the plugs back in and try to start it. If it cranks right up your carbs are lean.

thanks for all the help. I know that it has been a while, things have been crazy around here. UPDATE... I swapped the fuel lines and cleaned the filters on the carbs. The MAG carb was 99% clogged the PTO probably 50% clogged. Cleaned the carbs reinstalled set base idle out of the water. runs great out of the water, idles good, smokes a little more than before, revs up smoothly. As soon as the damn thing hits the water, it runs like shit. it misses out, wont rev up, hardly idles and wants to die. Its backfiring out of the MAG carb. Any more ideas. The backfire thing is a new symptom. but it was running so bad before that it might not have had a chance to backfire. If I can't get anything figured out I am just going to have to break down and take it in.... Can't believe I just said that....

well, that is depressing. I took the head off and the MAG piston is completely melted and so is the head. The jug is cracked and the PTO cylinder wall is scored. I have never rebuilt a two stroke before. What all needs to be replaced, what parts can or should I get used and how far down do I need to go to get this thing in good running order???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IN96XP View Post
    well, that is depressing. I took the head off and the MAG piston is completely melted and so is the head. The jug is cracked and the PTO cylinder wall is scored. I have never rebuilt a two stroke before. What all needs to be replaced, what parts can or should I get used and how far down do I need to go to get this thing in good running order???
    Well, you have to get an idea of how much stress/damage the bottom end may have incurred. You know how bad the top is, now you need to check out the crank and the rotary valve shaft (in particular, the gear on that shaft).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information