XL700 With Stalling Problem

Just purchased a used Yamaha 2000 XL700 . It was not a rental.

The first time we took it out, it ran great although it smoked quite a bit. The second time was yesterday and it would not stay running.

It kept dying shortly after applying the throttle. It would get up to full speed for several seconds and then shut down.

The only way I could get it re-started was to choke it even after it was fully warmed up.

I pulled the plugs back home and they were oily wet black. I don’t understand because that would ordinarily mean it’s too rich, but having to choke it to crank means the opposite.

The fuel filter had a little crud in it, but I didn’t notice any water in the fuel. Will replace this the first chance I get.

+1
    I would start off by doing a compression check to make sure everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    I would start off by doing a compression check to make sure everything is ok.
    I cranked it without any spark plugs to see if I had water in the cylinders, but nothing shot out.

Then I got two seperate loaner gauges in order to get an accurate test. Each cylinder was checked two times with both gauges:

Front cylinder - 140/142
    Rear cylinder - 138/140

Here's what the factory service manual says to check for "engine stalls":

Fuel Tank
    Air Vent Hose
    Fuel Hose
    Fuel Filter
    Fuel Pump
    Carburetor
    Low Speed Screw Setting
    High Speed Screw Setting
    Carburetor synchronization
    Trolling Speed
    Ignition System
    Exhaust Hose

I'd like to know if I can eliminate any of these knowing that she runs fine at full speed but then dies and also that it takes choking it to get it re-started?

Sounds like you're fouling plugs due to being rich on oil - your fuel is fine I'm sure. I've owned about 10 XL700's - you can try blocking off the injection and running premix, your smoking should go down a ton! Its also easy to remove and clean carbs if it comes to that...

Quote Originally Posted by kurtwolff View Post
    Sounds like you're fouling plugs due to being rich on oil - your fuel is fine I'm sure. I've owned about 10 XL700's - you can try blocking off the injection and running premix, your smoking should go down a ton! Its also easy to remove and clean carbs if it comes to that...
    I hope you're right since it will be an easy fix by going to pre-mix. My block off plate should come in the mail soon. I'm a bit worried about there being an air leak, but I've heard these XL700s are real reliable.

SaltDog

Hey guys - hate to interrupt, but does anyone know of a reliable way to premix in the tank rather than in a separate container? Where I ride you're not allowed to have a portable gas can on the dock or on board your boat.

Thread Information