Polaris slt 750 no fire

I bought a 94 slt 750 that the electrical system has been grounded had a mechanic look at it he said it need a stator was bad and so i bought one, he put that in. Still no fire so he checked everything and said the only other thing would be the cdi box. But he was taking off for a couple weeks for Vac. So I brought it home bought a cdi box off ebay put it in and still not fire. So i got to looking at the box id# and actually is suppose to fit a 1996 780(F8T33074). So my questions is will this box work in my ski and if so any other idea's of why there's no spark.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for the Service Manuals

I am not a Fuji engine expert, so I am not sure whether your 780 CDI will work with a 750 stator.
    What year and model was the replacement stator from?

I would start by confirming that the electrical system is indeed working properly now.

It sounds like the battery cover was left off, the electrical box touched the top of the battery posts, and melted the black ground wire that connects to the magneto stator. This burning of the Black stator wire is a common failure in the older models, if the plastic battery cover is missing.

Disconnect the battery positive, and confirm zero ohms between battery negative post and the black wires inside the electrical box.

Also check that every colored wire in the box is connected to the correct terminal. Each wire should only connect to other wires with the same color marking.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk tmintz! The 780 cdi will work.
    You need to be sure the battery is up to the job. It needs to be fully charged, and give at least 10.6 volts while cranking for the cdi to fire. Check volts while cranking with a meter at the battery.

Thanks for the input I was heading out to buy a new battery today I will charge it up and try it then. Also I will double check the wires I was almost thinking that somewhere there night be a ground missing. I do have the dealer service manual that came with it but I can't find anything that is missing. Also is there anyway to check the cdi box?

Thanks for the help,

Trey

+1
    Trey Welcome to the hulk...

The only way to test a CDI is to install it in a running machine.

Make sure your ground at the engine plate is good. Double check that all the wires are connected to the correct location.

Download the factory manual here>>>>>>>>>http://pwcmanuals.shorturl.com/

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmintz5 View Post
    ...I do have the dealer service manual that came with it but I can't find anything that is missing.

Also is there anyway to check the cdi box?...
    Which manual do you have there?

For the CDI, all you can really do is check and double check everything around the CDI. Make sure every connection is as it should be, and the voltages and resistances are correct.

You can check the ohm values of the stator coils, ignition coils.

Disconnect the stop switch (Black/Yellow wire) from the CDI, and try it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Which manual do you have there?

For the CDI, all you can really do is check and double check everything around the CDI. Make sure every connection is as it should be, and the voltages and resistances are correct.

You can check the ohm values of the stator coils, ignition coils.

Disconnect the stop switch (Black/Yellow wire) from the CDI, and try it that way.

Of course it's not a good idea,
    But if you start it with the stop switch disconnected, be ready to choke it dead.

[QUOTE=K447;1106467]Which manual do you have there?

I have the Polaris Watercraft Service/Warranty manual which seems to be the book the dealership would use. But anyway I'll let ya'll know what I come up with tomorrow.

Thanks

I put the new battery in today and disconnected the kill switch from the CDI box still no fire so I'm guessing its still probably a bad CDI box.

HMMM!?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk tm.

Have you ohm tested your stator?

How about a pic of your elec box? Often others can spot problems you're overlooking.

Thread Information