Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL900 Seems to seize

Last year the unit work 100% and then all of a sudden it died and we could not turn it over easily, seemed like seized but not quite, extremly hard to tuun over. So I left it and then 2 weeks later, it started no problem out of the water and sounded great. So we had a local general mechanic look at it and figured the jet bearings were the problem and they were actually not good because I heard a jingling sound once before all this happened so it seemed logical.
    Then we tried it again this year after fixing that and it ran 40 minutes on the lake and same thing again...so I am sure there are some experts here who know what the problem is now...so please advise what am I looking at here for repairs?

BTW we think it it's year 97 but the registration is not close by.
    Thanks in advance to those who respond.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk Gadget.

Sounds like a lean seizure.

Guess I better inspect the cylinders and if so what can I blame the problem on, lack of Lead? lack of oil? all of the above...?

+1
    Most overheat/lean seizure are from fuel/oil delivery or lack of cooling or both. Pull the heads and have a peek then inspect/clean the carbs. Replace all the fuel lines. If you have the Tempo brand(Gray) fuel lines they have been know to be a problem with green goo breakdown. Post lots of pics and we can get you back on the water.

+1
    To me that sounds more like a crank bearing issue. Only because if it was a lean seizure it would lose compression in whatever hole is seizing and it wouldn't run on all three afterwards. Not saying lean seizure isn't possible though. Crank bearings can do some goofy things like this sometimes. IF it is crank bearings and you're not able to do the engine removal, disassembly and reassembly yourself, your looking at some big $$$ to pay someone to do it because it is time consuming and most shops are $80+ per hour now.

Do crank bearings go for any reason or depends on how the unit is used?

+1
    One of the main reasons for crank bearings going is improper storage. I don't know where you live, but in states like where i live where we have long winters, you definitely need to fog the engine real good to prevent rust forming on the bearings. The cool nights and warm days in the spring and fall cause condesation inside the motor which can cause rust.

OK well it is northern Alberta Canada so that means not uncommon to see winter arrive in Oct and not stop till April, and we get -40, for the most part frozen during that time. I had followed the book and poured some engine oil in each piston then rotated the motor before covering it back up. Treated the gas for storage and put the battery in a warm place. Oh yea and last thing flushed the system with antifreeze mixture...according to the book again.
    How does one fog the machine? I am not familar with that...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
    OK well it is northern Alberta Canada so that means not uncommon to see winter arrive in Oct and not stop till April, and we get -40, for the most part frozen during that time.

I had followed the book and poured some engine oil in each piston then rotated the motor before covering it back up.

Treated the gas for storage and put the battery in a warm place.

Oh yea and last thing flushed the system with antifreeze mixture...according to the book again.

How does one fog the machine? I am not familiar with that...
    What book are you referring to?

Have you seen these manuals?

Fogging oil is a special oil that is designed to stick to and protect engine internals, especially the steel roller bearings in the crank case.

The crank case is the most important part of the motor to protect from rusting.

The Polaris service manuals have a section on winterizing.
    Last edited by K447; 07-02-2009 at 11:58 AM.

OK so we pulled the heads off and the pistons look good, pots pretty good, not stuck there so must be bottom end so I guess we will pull the motor now. Still pretty tight even with no compression. Where is the best place to get parts for a 97 SL900 Polaris?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information