Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm going to buy an SBT GP1200R engine core..Unless...

Someone can talk me out of it.

I don't want to rework the engine myself as it's almost as expensive to do as buying the rebuilt core and no warranty.

I know SBT doesn't have the best reputation, but I can't ignore that 2 year no fault warranty.

Has anyone got a good alternative to rebuilt cores other than SBT with a similar warranty and all new internal parts including the new pv's and modified clips?

Please help, getting ready to drop 2 grand and want the best option and the path of least resistance.

+1
    dont do it. you can find a used motor in good running condition for around 2 grand with everything.

+1
    SBT Sleeves the cylinder with cast sleeves and lowers the compression to try and make them live.. You are better off rebuilding what you have. What is wrong with yours???

if your ski isn't totally stock sbt well find a reason to void that warrenty, like a jetworks valve in your stinger or anything else.
    Opps Shooter just call me and said I was full of it, LOL the warrent is good as long as you don't miss with the engine like heads

The engine was oil starved when 2 of the 3 oil lines popped off #2 scored very badly and unrelated dropped a pv into the piston. The #2 pv is trashed. #3 scored cylinder cracked piston.
    #1 - 120psi
    #2 - 35psi
    #3 - 15psi
    Possible crank damage as well. But no case damage, she didn’t throw a rod.

Of course I’ll be going to premix after this

And the ski is totally stock. Even still has the cat.

+1
    Send crank to crank works and get it inspected. Thats $200.
    Send your cylinders off to Millenium with your new pistons - $500 for both to be cleaned up and renik
    New pistons = $200 each then you need to buy the rings $33 each, then new cage bearing $20 each, then new wrist pins $15 each.
    You can reuse your old base gaskets, just spray them with copper sealant.
    You need a tube of 1211 3 bond to seal up the cases (about $20).
    You can reuse all the gaskets as you just spray them with copper sealant and it will help with the sealing.
    Thats $1256 for just that and no telling what else you might need. Plus paying someone to do it since you seem like you don't want to do it, $400 to take the motor in and out of your ski, plus the hourly rate of $125 to take the motor apart and put back together. Yes, here in charleston they charge $125 an hour.
    Costly repair ain't it?
    Get you a big tupperware bucket, start pulling parts out and putting them in the bucket. Buy you a box of zip lock bags, put all the bolts to the specific item in that bag and mark it. Send off your cylinders, crank, get all your parts in. Then, start assembling. Its simple, just very very time consuming.
    SHOOTER

I've already got the engine out of the hull. Don't get me wrong I'm very very good with a wrench. and I don't mind spending a little money to get it done right. I just don't want to have to do it again and again. That's the biggest reason that I see on the SBT rebuilt is that 2 year no fault warranty. Now that I've done it once I can get the engine in and out of the hull in a few hours.

+1
    Pro-X piston kits are supplied complete with Piston Rings, Wrist Pin and Circlips $109.99

so the 2 year no fault warranty is why you are thinking of going this route, but lets say the motor fails, you still have to pull it out & ship it back & then they will figure out if they will warranty it, they look for reasons not to, so if they dont cover it your screwed & if they do cover it you still have to swap motors & not have the ski running for how ever long it takes for shipping or an answer, do yourself a favor if you are good with a wrench fix it your self, any & all questions you have can be answered on this forum

If something were to happen to the engine I would still have to pull it no matter where I got it from, so I don't see why folks keep saying that for warranty purposes I would have to pull the engine and send it in. Itís gotta come out anyway and honestly getting it out is no big deal.

In all of the posts that I've read I haven't seen anything where SBT denied a warranty claim unless the 2 years had expired. There are many posts about quality concerns, but none about meeting there stated commitments. I know I have to pay for shipping and Iíve checked, UPS ground is $78 to their door and they pay for the return to me.

I just want to get the ski back in the water with as little effort as possible and not have to worry about the cost of repairs to the most expensive part of the ski for 24 months.

What I would really like is a viable alternate to SBT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information