+1

Did the 00' 1200 slx need the jumper wire in the e. box?

Just picked up a 00' slx and it's hard starting if i just shut it off to talk for a second and go to refire it. Sometimes it even cranks over kinda slow at first. Then it cranks for a while and finally fires. I've read the bulletin on the jumper, but it doesn't mention the slx in it, so i wasn't sure. The guy i bought it from was the original owner, so it's hard to believe he would've ran it like this since new but who knows. It sounds like it could be the problem but i've never dealt with this before so i don't quite know all the symptoms.

Yes, all of the carb'd 1200s needed to have that done...but FWIW, I've never done it to any of my skis. I'd check the jetting on that ski...they were too rich on the low speed jets that year. The way to check if it needs the jumper is to pull one of the battery wires for 10 seconds, then hook it back up and start it (puts the CDI to sleep). If it starts right up, then you need to install the jumper wire. Not sure why some need it and some dont. The PVL ignition is finicky.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTXC View Post
    ...Sometimes it even cranks over kinda slow at first.

Then it cranks for a while and finally fires...
    Slow cranking indicates a problem that should be addressed before it escalates to no start at all.

Remove, clean, and check both ends of both battery cables, and the cable for the starter motor.

If they are all good, suspect the battery.

The Polaris machines need a strong and healthy battery. Weak batteries just cause problems.

+1
    I was thinking possibly the battery. I'll have to check that real good. Thanks for the tip on disconnecting the cable to test it Brad. I'll try that too. As far as the jetting, i have stealth stacks in it, that changes the jetting requirements a little on the bottom, but even after just sitting and idling it's real crisp when i hammer the throttle, so i don't think it'd be jetting but it is possible i guess. I know guys were putting the 01' spec jetting in the 00' slx which is leaner on the bottom. I could try that easily enough too.

+1
    i bought an 01 slx new and still have it and it's never had the jumper put in

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTXC View Post
    I was thinking possibly the battery. I'll have to check that real good. Thanks for the tip on disconnecting the cable to test it Brad. I'll try that too. As far as the jetting, i have stealth stacks in it, that changes the jetting requirements a little on the bottom, but even after just sitting and idling it's real crisp when i hammer the throttle, so i don't think it'd be jetting but it is possible i guess. I know guys were putting the 01' spec jetting in the 00' slx which is leaner on the bottom. I could try that easily enough too.
    What I should have said is when it fails to start, try the cable pull...but I'm sure you figured that anyway. Can't see the jetting being too rich to cause a poor start either, but my buddy's 00SLX I worked on was pig rich down low. It would load up and blubber out of the hole. Put 68 lows in it and turned the screws in...helped quite a bit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    What I should have said is when it fails to start, try the cable pull...but I'm sure you figured that anyway. Can't see the jetting being too rich to cause a poor start either, but my buddy's 00SLX I worked on was pig rich down low. It would load up and blubber out of the hole. Put 68 lows in it and turned the screws in...helped quite a bit.
    68 low's ???
    That's huge for a low jet.

+1
    70's are stock in this bad boy.

Thread Information