Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

took out for the first time. But i need help.

So i rebuilt my engine (piston, piston rings, piston cyl, fuel pump, carb kit, etc) i took it out today and as soon as it starts it takes off with out giving it any gas, and it stays that way. I thought I had the idle screw to high so i unscrewed tryed it, unscrewed tryed, etc but nothing it does the same thing no matter how much i unscrew the idle screw. Any help please.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    How fast are we talking?

It's normal for the ski to move when the engine is running. The engine is directly linked to the jet pump.

+1
    Yep, even at idle (~1400 RPM) the ski will move. Now, if the engine is racing at idle you may have an air leak somewhere. This could be a base gasket, case gasket, reed assembly, or intake. Another possibility, which happened to me once, is the throttle cable could be hooked weird on the cam follower and it's keeping the butterflies open. Check and make sure the butterflies are closed all the way and make sure they are all three in synch. If they are, and you still have this problem, then you have a bad gasket somewhere.

KJ

so the butterflies have to all the way closed? Does the high or low screw have anything to do with it?

I also have one of my 95 Polaris 750's running a tad fast at idle 1350 to 1400 but the ski runs strong and fast out on the water.. I am not going to do a leak test till winter time, now is time to ride.. 750slt how does it run when your out on it other then the fast idle??? Cya Slick

+1
    The high's would have nothing to do with it, the low's wouldn't either, unless their not there, as in missing all together, then you have a big air leak and the ski will start to run from you. Hope this helps Mike

so the butterflies have to all the way closed?

Here is the leak down test procedure.. Cya Slick

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...highlight=leak

so the butterflies have to all the way closed?

at idle the throttle butterflys (not choke) should be pretty much shut. they have a small gap in them to let enough air to idle through. your ski should idle somewhere around 1200prm (+- a few hundred rpm). you can adjust the idle by turning the idle screw at the very aft end of the carb by the cables. if your rpm keeps increasing while sitting in the water at idle it is likely you have a big airleak and you should stop riding immediately to avoid serious piston damage. Put it on the hose out of the water and start it up. If the rpms climb way up on their own you probably have a leak somewhere. As long as your needles are somewhere in the ballpark and not INSANELY out of tune I HIGHLY doubt they would affect your idle that much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information