Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In a arugement with a friend

We got on the subject of carbon rings/exhaust hoses and other hoses that can come on done and flood the hull.

I say if you loose a carbon ring or hoses the more throttle the more water is going to rush in. Im saying that if you notice it right away you should be able to turn it off and the bilge should be able to get it out. (fix clamps or what ever failed). If a carbon ring let go would you be able to idle back with a 500 bilge running?

But buddies says there no way. It will rush in no matter what. He says its the same 5% throttle or 100% throttle.Or even with the ski off it will still rush in?.

Who right? I sure hope im not wrong LMFAO

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    ... Come on girls... quit the hair pulling already...

But... lets see As throttle increases pump pressure... the seal will leak more water with more pressure ...

Quote Originally Posted by cmher18 View Post
    We got on the subject of carbon rings/exhaust hoses and other hoses that can come on done and flood the hull.

I say if you loose a carbon ring or hoses the more throttle the more water is going to rush in. Im saying that if you notice it right away you should be able to turn it off and the bilge should be able to get it out. (fix clamps or what ever failed). If a carbon ring let go would you be able to idle back with a 500 bilge running?LMFAO
    My experience is the bilge will handle it and you can get it out. When the ring goes mine did not gush water into the hull, it just leaks it in and my 500 bilge handled it. I idled back to the ramp and back on the trailer. Same with most of the smaller hoses. The big exhaust crossover hose, it you still have it, is another story, water will gush in there and a 500 bilge would not be able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    My experience is the bilge will handle it and you can get it out. When the ring goes mine did not gush water into the hull, it just leaks it in and my 500 bilge handled it. I idled back to the ramp and back on the trailer. Same with most of the smaller hoses. The big exhaust crossover hose, it you still have it, is another story, water will gush in there and a 500 bilge would not be able to handle it.
    But with the ski off is there still water in the exhaust tube? What would cause the exhaust tube to come off? Forgetting to tighten the clamp is the only thing i can think of.

Ya i sent this to his email already. LOL

+1

Exclamation who's right? you both are right!

I say if you loose a carbon ring or hoses the more throttle the more water is going to rush in. Im saying that if you notice it right away you should be able to turn it off and the bilge should be able to get it out. (fix clamps or what ever failed). If a carbon ring let go would you be able to idle back with a 500 bilge running?

But buddies says there no way. It will rush in no matter what. He says its the same 5% throttle or 100% throttle.Or even with the ski off it will still rush in?.

Who right? I sure hope im not wrong LMFAO
    I had this happen to me! Bilge pump turned on, ran about 35mph to boat ramp. After about 2 minutes of running, bilge pump stopped pumping water out. The point is, the stock bailers ALSO helped drain the hull while moving - HHHMMMMM......

The faster you go, the higher the pressure, the faster you flood - period!

Got to the boat ramp with bilge basically empty, while I went to get truck and the trailer, the ski flooded AGAIN through the carbon ring, just sitting in about 2 foot of water, in less than 5 minutes. With ski on the trailer, I had a bathtub full of water POURING out of my carbon ring/ thru hull fitting!

A 500 gph bilge pump MAY NOT keep up with flooding, but SHOULD give you enough time to beach your ski or get back to the ramp safely!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    ... Come on girls... quit the hair pulling already...

But... lets see As throttle increases pump pressure... the seal will leak more water with more pressure ...

Thats the same look i had on my face trying to tell him this LOL

+1
    I left the clamp off my carbon ring once ... at idle, everything looked good, so I took off, watching hull ... noticed major water coming in, dropped to idle, kicked bilge pump on, easily caught up. I idled to the cottage, put a clamp on, all set. So in my case, yes, idling was fine, and the bilge saved me.

But with the ski off is there still water in the exhaust tube? What would cause the exhaust tube to come off? Forgetting to tighten the clamp is the only thing i can think of.

Ya i sent this to his email already. LOL
    Nothing would cause the exhaust tube to come off if the clamps are tight...no worries.

Well.... Tecnically the pump tunnel is under a vacuum up to about 40ish (various of course depending on the ski/grate, lots of other things). So if you could get it on plane, cruise about 20-30 it SHOULD (theoretically) suck water out the hull into the tunnel (in you had a carbon seal leak). Should reduce any cavitation from air entering the tunnel

I however had my exhaust hose pop off on me this weekend And that's ALOT of water, she went down like the titanic, I don't care what size bilge pump you have. That's a 2 1/2" ID under the water line hole with 800+ lbs forcing water into the hull.

And HowTF does this keep happening?? I have a 2-1/2" OD alum tube stuck 6" into the 2-1/2" ID hose coming off the through hull OEM exhaust outlet hose, and (2!) clamps on it! How does that come undone??? Anyhow somehow it did. This time I coated the alum tube with RTV gasket sealer, inseterted it about 5"-6" into the exhaust outlet hose, and put 3!" clamps on it.

Is there really that much force from back pressure there? I guess some grease, or hot water expanding the rubber, and getting between the tube and rubber hose maybe alowing it to slip off, but geez... Anyway I've had the exhaust hose come off twice, first time my fault for sure, this time, got me. But if your exhaust outlet hose comes off, especially down low. You better figure it out quick, and dive in there and hook it back up, or your going down with the ship!!!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I've had exhaust hoses blow off in the past as well... and yes... it only takes a few minutes to sink a ski Ever since that happend... I keep a rubber plug in my glovebox that fit's in the thru-hull fitting just in case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information