Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions for you guys on FZR/S....

OK, so the wife wants a ski she can ride around on. Now, granted, she comes from a ski background, so she isn't looking for a love seat with handlebars. Being the Yamaha guy that I am, I am interested in a FZR or FZS. So, here are my questions.

1) Am I right that these skis are identical other than seat and one is considered a two seater and the other is considered a three seater?

2) We ride primarily on a lake, but we also have property in the outer banks of NC, so we will probably be riding in the sound as well. My main concern is if we ride in the salt water, what is the flush scenario for these big four strokes? I am pretty anal when it comes to keeping my skis clean, am I opening up a can of worms riding this thing in salt water?

3) Other than the over stuffing issues, are there any things a prospective buyer should know about these skis as far as reliability issues?

4) Lastly, put an intake grate in for the overstuffing issue? Which one?

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scottie

I don’t think you will find much of a difference with any of the SHO lines when it comes to reliability and performance. Primarily your decision should probably be based on aesthetics since they all run the same engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    1) Am I right that these skis are identical other than seat and one is considered a two seater and the other is considered a three seater?
    Yes, only the seat, color and rear boarding step put the FZS apart from the FZR.

2) We ride primarily on a lake, but we also have property in the outer banks of NC, so we will probably be riding in the sound as well. My main concern is if we ride in the salt water, what is the flush scenario for these big four strokes? I am pretty anal when it comes to keeping my skis clean, am I opening up a can of worms riding this thing in salt water?
    If you are anal about your skis then you will be fine. Just flush properly just like you do with any other ski after riding in salt water and it will be fine.

3) Other than the over stuffing issues, are there any things a prospective buyer should know about these skis as far as reliability issues?
    So far these have proven to be some very reliable skis. A BOV (blow off valve) would be a good idea to help take some stress off of the sprag clutch.

4) Lastly, put an intake grate in for the overstuffing issue? Which one?
    Your two choices right now are the Riva and R&D grates. Both are equally affective at getting rid of the buck on deceleration with the modified skis.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    No worries with the questions. We are glad to help

First, both tyhe FZR and FZS are identical, but the FZS has 3 seats and a town hookreason why weigths 6 pounds more, engine and performance is the same. Second You need to flush the sky everytime you use it regardless of fresh or salt water, follow the manual recomendations (3 minutes). The overstuffing happens but is not common, I was tossed at speed of 68 mph and suffered an hematoma in my back and couple broken ribs, but there are hundres of riders that had not a problem, but if You have a concern (As I was) install a RIVA or [email protected] intake grate, that will take care of the overstuffing completely. For me Yamaha is the most reliable type of watercraft in the market , specially in salt water. So I really recommend Yamis over others. I hope this information will help You. I have a Black FZS with all the first Stage Mods(thanks to Green Hulk !!!)

Does the ski come with a flush adapter or do I need to get one? And, why do you flush after riding in fresh water? The lake I ride at normally is very clean, and I don't flush out my carbon powervalve blasters after riding there. Just wondering?

Yes, your information is very helpful.

Scottie

Does the ski come with a flush adapter or do I need to get one? And, why do you flush after riding in fresh water? The lake I ride at normally is very clean, and I don't flush out my carbon powervalve blasters after riding there. Just wondering?

Scottie
    Yes, the machine comes with Flush adapter. Need to flush because some debris can be introduce and plug it. So, better do it ,takes only 3 minutes

+1

Scottie
    Backflush any weed or crap on the prop side of the strainer.

+1
    Is this SCottie Mac racer from Virginia??

Scottie

1) The FZS also has a tow hook

2) Welcome to the "being anal club" (no homo). One extra step you can take is flushing it with Salt Away after running it in the salt, I think it works really well with removing the salt, but others may think differently, personal preference i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Is this SCottie Mac racer from Virginia??

Yep. What's up Wash? Long time no see.

Thanks for the help guys. I think the wife is going to like this thing....

Scottie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information