Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

87mm verses 85mm nozzle

Did a test on my ski this weekend. Wanted to try an 85mm nozzle to see if its any faster. I'm running a dynafly prop.

Ran 4 runs in the same spot in the same direction letting the engine cool down in between runs and let the water settle. All runs were within 1 tenth of the same mph and I was sitting on the front of the seat.

Then put the 85mm nozzle on and ran 3 runs in the same spot just like before. It turned the same 7850rpm and ran an average 2 tenths slower.

Anyone else tested like this??? Wish my ski liked the 85mm nozzle but guess the setup is different.

This is the second time I've tested this and have the same results. I have on another ski saw a full 1mph gain with about 30-40rpm drop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    Did a test on my ski this weekend. Wanted to try an 85mm nozzle to see if its any faster. I'm running a dynafly prop.

Ran 4 runs in the same spot in the same direction letting the engine cool down in between runs and let the water settle. All runs were within 1 tenth of the same mph and I was sitting on the front of the seat.

Then put the 85mm nozzle on and ran 3 runs in the same spot just like before. It turned the same 7850rpm and ran an average 2 tenths slower.

Anyone else tested like this??? Wish my ski liked the 85mm nozzle but guess the setup is different.

This is the second time I've tested this and have the same results. I have on another ski saw a full 1mph gain with about 30-40rpm drop.
    Ronn.....mesaure the nozzles with a caliper to see what they are.All these nozzles vary in size. I have an 85mm nozzle that measures 86.10mm

+1
    are both nozzles modded the same? (siphon tube, visibility spout thing) same steering nozzle on both??

Good point Water Woody need to check their size. Also the 87mm has a siphon tube and the 85mm has been removed. Didn't think that tube made that much difference but maybe it does??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    Good point Water Woody need to check their size. Also the 87mm has a siphon tube and the 85mm has been removed. Didn't think that tube made that much difference but maybe it does??
    Ronn I have had different top end numbers and rpm numbers depending on what prop I was running. My vx likes my 89mm and my 15/26 likes my 86.5mm if I go smaller with the nozzle on the vx rpm's and speed goes down.

What did getting rid of the visibility spout give you in speed i am thinking about doing it to mine .Thanks

Water Woody your right my 85mm nozzle measures about 86mm. Guess I just have a slow nozzle

Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    What did getting rid of the visibility spout give you in speed i am thinking about doing it to mine .Thanks

Most people remove the hose on the visibility spout and jb weld the hole up. I didn't test it doubt there are any noticable gains you just wont have the spray going everywhere.

But if you still have it hooked up its a dead give away your riding a stock ski..haha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    It does nothing for performance, just gets rid of that annoying stream.

+1
    does anyone have a true 85.0 nozzle? mine measures 85.5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information