Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salt in the Supercharger

changed sc wheels and noticed salt buildup on the sc intake area and the wheel itself. I use XPS lube on the throttle body, but never read or thought to use it on the sc. i guess i should start?

+1
    Couldn't hurt near as much as salt. Fog the engine too. Are you using a catch can? If so, you might want to remove it and run your pcv vent line into the air intake hose up stream of the sc.

+1
    yes its good insurance to lube the intake tract too.
    carefully, spray some wd40 into the air intake. i say wd40 cuz its a bit more misty, the fogging oil is too thick to get in very far.
    i would clean it all out one time before you start the lube

Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    changed sc wheels and noticed salt buildup on the sc intake area and the wheel itself. I use XPS lube on the throttle body, but never read or thought to use it on the sc. i guess i should start?
    Bro, I see your post here and there. Your a salt rider just like me. Here's what I can advise you on this topic as I ride salt pretty much except if I ride Lake Naciemento. XPS lube is good to maintain
    Try this method that I do. Anything that is moving in centrifugal force with the exess of 4,000 rpm. I made a rule to coat it with grease. understand there are so many types of grease. short and simple, coat something that spins at 4,000 + rpm which one do you think will fly off first? The residue of grease will stick longer than plain oil If you haven't joined the SoCalWaterClub around your area by now.....Your missing out all the good time. They are all good Family people......watch out for Pirate33........never trust a Pirate

Not too good an idea.

The intercooler works at the interface between air and the alloy it is constructed from.

Now if you add a layer of fine oil, which in turn will collect a layer of fine dust, which will effectively insulate the cooling core, even so slightly.

End product is an expensive piece of equipment that does not perform like it used to do.

The impeller of the charger will collect fine dist particles easier that will stick... and eventually fly-off down the inlet toward the intercooler. These being a bit "Clumpy" will start to block the fine passages the charged air travels through. Net product is a logged, in-efficient intercooler.

Be careful. There has been a thread or two in the past on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    Not too good an idea.

The intercooler works at the interface between air and the alloy it is constructed from.

Now if you add a layer of fine oil, which in turn will collect a layer of fine dust, which will effectively insulate the cooling core, even so slightly.

End product is an expensive piece of equipment that does not perform like it used to do.

The impeller of the charger will collect fine dist particles easier that will stick... and eventually fly-off down the inlet toward the intercooler. These being a bit "Clumpy" will start to block the fine passages the charged air travels through. Net product is a logged, in-efficient intercooler.

Be careful. There has been a thread or two in the past on this subject.
    O K.....this is what happens when ya don't post pictures I agree with rich about the short lesson on inter-cooler functions. However........crapp!!! iam out of beer and will be right back before 7-11 close

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Couldn't hurt near as much as salt. Fog the engine too. Are you using a catch can? If so, you might want to remove it and run your pcv vent line into the air intake hose up stream of the sc.
    I don't use a catch can. I ran the OEM vent line into the kanaflex. I don't use a filter either, so maybe I should start.

+1
    wtf with the GIANT picture!!??
    coating intake tract is a good idea every few rides to protect it.
    also a good idea at least once per season to pull the IC,
    fill it up with a good degreaser and hot water, shake it around and dump it out.
    in essence cleaning the IC from any buildup.
    if you do both regularly you will maintain peak performance AND protection
    or just stop sucking up so much freakin salt water!!!!!!

saltwater

I'm not sucking in saltwater, it's air loaded with salt Anyway, thanks for the advice and I don't mind the extra maintenance, just want to do it right.

Jammer,

I've been riding with the SoCal Club guys since last summer and a few runs to Catalina with some of the pwcoffshore guys. Good guys and lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    I'm not sucking in saltwater, it's air loaded with salt Anyway, thanks for the advice and I don't mind the extra maintenance, just want to do it right.

Jammer,

I've been riding with the SoCal Club guys since last summer and a few runs to Catalina with some of the pwcoffshore guys. Good guys and lots of fun.
    SoCal Club guys are good people and so is pwcoffshore guys. your in good hands

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information