Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GPR1200 Hesitation/Wont go above 38mph

Hello, I have an 01 GPR 1200 that wont go above 38mph. The Ski just got out of the shop for a really bad bog wouldn't go about 5mph. While in the shop the carbs were rebuild, installed a new Power Valve motor, and a new cdi. They tested it in the water and said it ran great, only tested for about 10 min.

I took the ski out and it ran great for an hour... then on the way back it wouldn't rev up/ get above 38mph.. And the exhaust sounded different. And i noticed the low fuel alarm came on. I shut the ski off and started agian and had a full tank. Then it came on agian. Went back to shore, trailered and checked the tank it was 3/4 full.. Would that have anything to do with the problem?

The ski has a protec head, ride plate, intake grate, turbo tube, F/A's, Waveeater clips and couplers, converted to premix and some other minor bolt-ons. Its back at the shop agian, anyone have any suggestions? What controls the powervalves motor?
    Thanks for any and all help
    Chad

i know an easy way to see if the p.v.'s are working is to put a zip tie on the shaft between cylinders, remove the seat and ride it. if you watch the zip tie "tail" and it moves with the shaft then they work. it is just hard to actually see the shaft moving while riding. be careful if you do this as not to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by chadzj View Post
    What controls the powervalves motor?
    An electric servo - It should 'cycle' when you hit the start button, but don;t allow it to start.

Take off the seat, hit the start for a second...but don't let it start. Then after a second or so, the PV motor should move them through the range. Sounds like an electric servo...hard to describe.

- Brian

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by paul c View Post
    i know an easy way to see if the p.v.'s are working is to put a zip tie on the shaft between cylinders, remove the seat and ride it. if you watch the zip tie "tail" and it moves with the shaft then they work. it is just hard to actually see the shaft moving while riding. be careful if you do this as not to crash.
    I have done this procedure and it works great. Takes the guess work out of it. Be careful..hang on tight cuz you got to get it up to 6,000 rpms for the PVs to kick in..

The power vavles do cycle at start up. It it suppopsed to have a new pv servo. What controls the servo? the cdi or is there some type of ecu on the ski? I'll try the wire tie trick when i go back down. But Does the symptons sound like an PV issue? Or somthing different?

Thanks for the ideas.

Do you trust the shop you took it to carb rebuild ok , p.v motor , and new CDI, and it still doesnt run right,some shops just guess and start replacing parts till they get it fixed instead of testing your parts and of course its at your expense. Gl with the ski hope you get it fixed

check to see if the hose that supplies the accell/pump has not come off,this would cause the fuel pressure to be too low on #3 carb and not pop off, it would stay on the low speed circuit.

Sounds like the cat is shot, and I didn't see d-plate listed in your mods. If your machine still has a cat, start there. The shop might not want to touch it, you might have to do that yourself, since it involves discarding emissions equipment.

Talked with the shop over the weekend. They took it for a test ride and it would not rev above 4600 rpm. Said it had a constant miss. He thinks its a broken reed. They checked all the fuel lines, the power valves opened and closed. Would a broken reed cause this? Also the compression is good across all 3.

Also the cat has been removed and it does have a a d-plate.

Thanks for the ideas and help.. Hopefull get it back this week.

+1
    Does it have a turbo tube? or a d-plate and stock stinger? can't have both. did they set the carbs up for the turbo tube if it is indeed installed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information