Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can't start my polaris virage i 2002

Hello guys, I see there are many post on this forum for guy like me who doesn't know what I am doing with the jetski.

I saw a post which has title "Welcome JJW, Polaris Virage i in Australia" has similar problem like mine.

Currently I can't start my jetski and tried following.

1. Changed new TSP.
    2. Check compression and found that front cylinder has 120 psi and and rear cylinder has 110 psi.
    3. My fuel pressure is between 20 and 30 psi.
    4. I have solid sparks on both plugs.

When I start the engine it wouldn't start. But, if I inject some fuel by taking the plugs out and start the engine then it will start with no problem until fuel runs out.

Both injectors are spraying gas when I start the engine. Not sure it should spray mist or what the spray pattern should be.

I checked the plugs after starting the engine a few times and saw some water sweat on the both plugs.

I was wondering if I should drain all the gas from the tank and check the fuel filter/water seperator or replace it?

I don't know how to correctly drain the gas tank to remove possible dirts and water. Also I don't know the location of the fuel filter. Please help!!!

I do have the manual and can't seems to find the where fuel filter is located or how I should drain the gas correctly.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Fuel filter is integral with the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. The filter is also a water repelling filter.

Lots of fuel pump details in this thread.

Draining the tank to remove water is a hassle. The water sits at the very bottom of the tank. You would drain/siphon what you can out of the fuel filler neck. To get the rest, you need to undo and slide the tank forward, pull the fuel pump out, then drain and wipe down the tank inside.

If you are seeing water on the spark plugs, are you sure the water was from inside the engine? Not pooling in the spark plug recesses in the heads?

Is there any possibility that water was ingested into the engine air intake?

How do you know the injectors are spraying into the engine when you crank?

The injectors must be bolted into the head to seal properly. When off the head, the injectors will leak around the actual injector tip, not through the poppet valve.

I would suspect that the injector voltage is too low.

When cranking, White/Red injector voltage should jump to over 20 volts. When the engine starts, the voltage should jump again to over 40 volts.

Find a place to connect your multi-meter to the White/Red wire that powers both injectors. Do not unplug either injector, try to find a spot where you can tap into the wiring.

What often happens is the EMM's internal voltage boosting system fails, and does not produce enough voltage to actually fire the injectors for starting.

If you manually add fuel, the engine the starts up, and RPM rises high enough for the normal injector power feed (non-boosted) to deliver injector power. So the engine will not start without manual fuel, but will idle and run if you do prime it with some gas.

Thanks for your respond!

I was reading your prev old post on how to fix fuel pump and instrucations to slide the gas tank to remove the pump from the tank. I hope I do not need to do that .

I am not sure how the water got to the plug. How can I make sure it not from inside engine? I have this jetski in my garage and never been flip over.

My mistake. I removed the injectors out and start the engine and saw gas came out. Base on your desc, it doesn't mean anything. My mistake. Yes, it was leaking around the injector tip. No wonder it doesn't look correct. I thought it should spray like a mist. Now I understand. So, I guess I can't check visually it was spraying correctly?

I will check injector voltage as you described.

When I add fuel manually then engine starts up but dies as soon as fuel runs out and will not say idle. So, what does it mean?

I will check the vold and report back to you tomorrow.

Thanks
    Kevin

Hi, I tried to check the volt for the injector and run into a new problem. I must have made it worst while checking the injector's volt.

Here is what I did.

1. I connect one cable from meter to red/white wire going into the injector and nother cable from meter as ground to engine. I then start the engine to read the meter.

Result: Engine wouldn't not start correctly and I hear one relay going on and off like crazy when I try to start the engine.

This switch/relay is located right on top of the battery and is connected to positive wire of the battery. I think it looks like some cut off switch for the battery once the engine starts. Not sure.

I have also attached the picture of the switch/relay.

What did I do wrong to caused this issue?

Thanks
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10413.JPG 
Views:	863 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	138382  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jitan2004 View Post
    Hi, I tried to check the volt for the injector and run into a new problem. I must have made it worst while checking the injector's volt.

Here is what I did.

1. I connect one cable from meter to red/white wire going into the injector and another cable from meter as ground to engine. I then start the engine to read the meter.

Result: Engine wouldn't not start correctly and I hear one relay going on and off like crazy when I try to start the engine.

This switch/relay is located right on top of the battery and is connected to positive wire of the battery. I think it looks like some cut off switch for the battery once the engine starts. Not sure.

I have also attached the picture of the switch/relay...
    Um, where is the rest of the battery bracket?

It should look something like the attached photos.

The start solenoid (aka start relay) is that black item that the heavy red battery cables connect to. It is supposed to be supported by the battery bracket, which in turn is clamped down over the battery.

The buzzing from the solenoid means you have a loose or dirty electrical connection in one of the heavy cables.

Remove, clean, and re-tighten both ends of both battery cables.

Make sure the black cable that connects to the engine block has clean metal (no paint or corrosion) and a clean bolt clamping it to the engine.

I didn't quite follow what connection you were making to the White/Red wire.

Both injectors must remain plugged in when checking injector voltage. You need to find another spot to tap into the White/Red wires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119876.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	138400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119880.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	138402  
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2009 at 11:02 AM.

K447, it looks exactly like your image except I took it apart to find out where the noise came from.
    I also found out following. I battery guage said 13.4 - 14.0 and I also tested the battery with my meter and it shows 13.4. So, I thought battery was ok and thought it was a different issue.
    After my last post, I tried using the portable battery pack for the car to start the jetski with my neighbor help and the jetski started with no problem.
    So, it mst have been defected battery. In any case I did tried to measure following:

1. Injector initial volt was around 20-21v.
    2. Once the engine was running it was around 41-44v.
    3. My CPS ohms was 150.

Well, thanks for you help and support. I hope that is all the problem with this jetski. I am just happy that I didn't have to drain the gas tank and change the fuel filter/water separator.

Hopefully I will not find any other problem with this jetski.

Thanks
    Kevin

K447, I found one more issue and I might as well asked. I see that some of my 2 cycle oil are leaking. The jetski is been sitting in the garage for about 9 months.

1. How can I check where the oil is leaking from?
    2. How can I make sure that oil pump is working correctly to mix the 2 cycle oil and gas.

Thanks
    Kevin

+1
    ...battery gauge said 13.4 - 14.0 and I also tested the battery with my meter and it shows 13.4. So, I thought battery was ok and thought it was a different issue.

After my last post, I tried using the portable battery pack for the car to start the jetski with my neighbor help and the jetski started with no problem.
    So, it must have been defective battery.
    1. Injector initial volt was around 20-21v.
    2. Once the engine was running it was around 41-44v.
    3. My CPS ohms was 150.

Well, thanks for your help and support...
    Glad to hear you found the problem, and it is now running

When you have the opportunity, pay it forward. On here or elsewhere

We see this story repeated time and again. Folks are certain their battery is good enough. We suggest putting a new battery in, and they want to look for other things to check instead.

After some poking around, a new battery does get put in. And quite often, that is all it needed.

Moral of the story, with any Polaris PWC. Put a new battery in first, or make darn sure the battery that is in there really, really is good.

The injector voltages you listed are correct. Sounds like you are now good for the water!

Take the time to put everything back together carefully, and check all the other things while you are in there;
    Hose clamps tight, hoses in good shape, clips and wires in place and not bouncing around, bolts, nuts and fittings snug, cables lubed and smoothly operating, etc.

Make sure the drain plugs are tight

+1
    ...some of my 2 cycle oil are leaking. The jetski is been sitting in the garage for about 9 months.

1. How can I check where the oil is leaking from?
    2. How can I make sure that oil pump is working correctly to mix the 2 cycle oil and gas...
    Clean up the oil in the hull. The cleaner it is in there, the easier to see where the oil is coming from.

There are some good threads and posts elsewhere regarding hull cleaning. Search for Simple Green, it will lead you to them.

Once things are clean, check the oil hoses for leaking, stating right at the oil tank. Check every hose connection. They should be dry on the outside, not oily.

Wipe any suspicious places dry, then check it again in a day or so. It any are weeping oil, slide the clamp away, shorten the hose by about 1/2" and re-attach.

Have a look at this post for some more oil leak info.

The Polaris oil pumps are quite reliable. Make sure the hoses and clamps are in good condition, and replace the oil filter annually.

If there are any signs of the oil hoses getting stiff, or cracking (especially near the ends), then replace all the hoses. Replacing hoses is cheap insurance for your engine.

It is hard to check the oil pump flow, since under normal operations the oil flows very slowly into the engine. The engine uses oil at about one 50th the rate it burns gas.

Check it over carefully, make sure the hoses are good, clamps are in place, and don't worry about the oil pump itself.

Most definitely I will pay it forward if I get the opp.

Thanks
    Kevin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information