Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1996 1050

1996 1050

Guys, I'm sure this problem is simple to fix but I don't know a lot about the electronics of my ski. I took it out mothers day and it run great, probably better than its run in a while. But yesterday I went out to make sure it was running before we took it to the lake and it turns over great but its not firing. I took the plugs out put new ones in (While I had them out I tried to fire them outside the cylinder, that's How i know there's no fire) and still nothing. I read somewhere else on the board that I need 10.6 volts while cranking, I have 12.4 so I don't think that's the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should check or replace next?

Thanks in advance

My 97 1050 did the same thing last week. From troubleshooting the electronics it seems the stator went out in my ski. Not cheap to replace either. I have the ski apart and will order the new stator upgrade kit today. Do a search in this forum, there is a ton of information on here, it has been very helpful.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SL1050 View Post
    My 97 1050 did the same thing last week. From troubleshooting the electronics it seems the stator went out in my ski. Not cheap to replace either. I have the ski apart and will order the new stator upgrade kit today. Do a search in this forum, there is a ton of information on here, it has been very helpful.

Good luck

Thanks for the info, Did you find the stator upgrade kit from Watcon? I cant seem to find it on there website. How hard is that to replace? I opened the CDI yesterday to check the fuses that are inside and to make sure no wires had come loose. I'm assuming the stator is inside of there? After lookin at Watcon Im wondering if buying a new CDI would be a better idea.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You said your battery measures 12.4 volts? It should drop down a bit from that when cranking. 11.something would be good. Check with a meter on the battery terminals while cranking and see what you get. I cant imagine it would be 12.4.
    The stator is located behind the flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonsoccerboy View Post
    Thanks for the info, Did you find the stator upgrade kit from Watcon? I cant seem to find it on there website. How hard is that to replace? I opened the CDI yesterday to check the fuses that are inside and to make sure no wires had come loose. I'm assuming the stator is inside of there? After lookin at Watcon Im wondering if buying a new CDI would be a better idea.
    I didn't find it on Watcon's website but sent an emial asking if he still carried them, I haven't heard back yet. The upgrade kit comes with a new stator and the CDI. Also ckeck Babbits, he has it for $296.00 on his website. Let me know if you find it cheaper.

The biggest pain for me was getting the fuel tank out and even that wasn't too bad. I would follow all the testing procedures first, like making sure you have 7-9 vdc on the brown wire at the CDI box, that will tell you if the CDI is putting out voltage to the stator.

Here is a link to one of the post on it.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10929

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    You said your battery measures 12.4 volts? It should drop down a bit from that when cranking. 11.something would be good. Check with a meter on the battery terminals while cranking and see what you get. I cant imagine it would be 12.4.
    The stator is located behind the flywheel.

While turning the engine over I am getting 11.8 - 12.0 this morning. Yesterday was a little higher I believe but I didn't leave my maintainer on it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1050 View Post
    I didn't find it on Watcon's website but sent an emial asking if he still carried them, I haven't heard back yet. The upgrade kit comes with a new stator and the CDI. Also ckeck Babbits, he has it for $296.00 on his website. Let me know if you find it cheaper.

The biggest pain for me was getting the fuel tank out and even that wasn't too bad. I would follow all the testing procedures first, like making sure you have 7-9 vdc on the brown wire at the CDI box, that will tell you if the CDI is putting out voltage to the stator.

Here is a link to one of the post on it.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10929
    Ok, I've never ordered from babbits before but I will check out the site. I will go through all the steps in that post tonight when I get back home. I really wanna get this figured out soon

Ok guys I was finally able to get back to work on my ski last night.( I have been in and out of town for work and family for the past month)

I checked the spark again just for the heck of it and would you believe I'm getting spark now but its still not starting. So I put new plugs in it just to take that out of the equation. I also drained the gas tank and filled it with Premium fuel and Sta-bil. Im sure its getting fuel because I can watch it spray a nice stream into the carb. What can I do next? I don't wanna by a new stator and CDI if they aren't bad. But Im really stumped now. Im almost positive that its electrical but I don't know much about the electrical system in the ski.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you getting a strong, consistent blue-white spark on all three cylinders?

Just in case, check that the ignition coils and spark plug wires are hooked up correctly, to the proper cylinders.

Have you seen this?
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

Part of this web page;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you getting a strong, consistent blue-white spark on all three cylinders?

Just in case, check that the ignition coils and spark plug wires are hooked up correctly, to the proper cylinders.

Have you seen this?
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

Part of this web page;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine
    The Spark is not very strong but is visible. I'm pretty new to jet skis and to the way the motor is setup. Can you tell me about where the ignition coils are located? I'm sure they are connected to the correct cylinders because it was running just fine when I parked it 2 months ago and no one has touched it since then. If I could get it to at least ignite I would be very happy because then I could start troubleshooting, but I honestly don't know where to start now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information