Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Doo'n it on the Lake ... GTXDawg's Avatar

03 GTX SC Impeller Choices

OK - have upgraded plastic pump to metal 267000046 (off 2004 to 2008 215 hp RXT/RXP). Will use new wear ring for 03 SC but having hard time deciding on impeller. Plan on only Stage 1 mods (4" air intake, have Jerry's SC washers/rebuild, maybe wedge, others?).

From my search of prior posts here's what I've learned about my choices (thanks mainly to lextoy, PaleRider, jpeconsult):
    1. Stock is 4 blade 12/20.
    2. Recommended Stage 1 props are:
    a. 13/20 4-blade.
    b. Skat Swirl 16/21 155-83-23 3 blade
    3. 3 blade will be better low end, better holeshot. it will take off faster from stop, but might lose 1-2 mph on top speed.
    4. 4 blade will be little bit better on low end & a little bit better on top speed, and is more balanced for all around performance.
    5. If you like do alot of sharp turns, spins and wave jumping, get the 3 blade.
    6. If you like to do alot of long high speed cruises, get the 4 blade.

Leaning toward 3-blade 16/21 (faster accel/holeshot) but ...

Looking for other 03 SC owners impeller advice/inputs/experiences before I drop the cash on a new impeller ...

Thanks in advance for help/inputs guys!

BTW - do I still need to reinstall the large metal pump bracket on the right side of the new metal pump? or was it just to help prevent plastic pump flex?

+1
    I think the general consensus is that about half the members use(d) a 12/20 and half use(d) the 13/20. I am unfamiliar with the 3 blades, but I am interested in what the findings are. Whatever you decide to run, consider sending it off for a pro pitch versus bending the trailing edge for optimal RPMs. Good luck with the research. --J

Thanks - I think PaleRider was running the 16/21 3 blade for a while & really liked the low end performance - not sure if he still is.

+1
    i got a 12/20, personally i think, the GTX185 is not a speed demon anyway, so if i had the chance i would get a 16/21.
    having a holeshot monster is fun.
    and with a bit of other mods, wedge, greenwheel, other basics, i think it would be alomst as fast anyways.
    mine with greenwheel etc, is doing 65-66, if i was doin 63 with insane holeshot i would like it better.

+1
    GTXDawg--
    dont understand why there are so many nay-sayers out there on these GTX 185 HP boats who say it wont run over 66-67 MPH. I have found mine (er-my wifes) to be fun to mess with. Been screwing around with it for about a year now. Tried this--tried that--got lots of good info from Jpeconsult's build--found some things on my own. These can be a 70 MPH boat with a little effort and not too much money. A lot of my stuff I bought used here on the forum. In my opinion what are the biggest contrubitors to the 185 HP boat? IMO one of the best mods is making the Riva rear air for a RXP work on this boat. I am running a untouched 13/20 prop with a stock 185 pump and driveshaft. The rest of my upgrades are listed in my signature. I am running the stock cast piston and still no intercooler. The hole shot on this boat will outdo any stock boat so far. My top speed was done early morning at 61 degrees air temp. On these current 95 to 100 degree south Texas days the speed drops off to 69 MPH or so. If I can be of help--let me know.

I ran a 16/21 for only a few rides with my gtx, it was smoking fast at the low end but at top end it lost alot. Dont remember how much, it was a few years ago. I put the stock prop back on after it got repaired and never went back.

... thanks for inputs/advice so far guys - keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by GTXDawg View Post
    OK - have upgraded plastic pump to metal 267000046 (off 2004 to 2008 215 hp RXT/RXP).

What did it take to install the metal pump housing? I am looking at a new unit Seadoo Impeller Housing 267000084 which is supposed to be for an 04-06 GTX. Why did you go with the RXT one?

I am leaning towards the Skat Trak one myself for a better holeshot.

I was looking at Skat Trak's impeller chart and I see that the RXT/RXP has a housing size of 159.8 whereas a GTX has a size of 155.8 http://www.skat-trak.com/seadoo_app2.html

Thanks - I think PaleRider was running the 16/21 3 blade for a while & really liked the low end performance - not sure if he still is.
    Hey dawg, just caught this thread. Yes, I liked the killer holeshot of the skat 16\21. remember to tho I was running the RXP/RXT ecu, so my speed came from the extra R`s as well...

what I found best for our riding area of Rivers and bays was: STOCK OEM grate is very good... ( I also think Shibby stated this) and no wedge.
    actually made the GTX platform perform better in the chop.

the 12\20 has a little more top end, but you need more juice to really get the max benefits...

I have since then traded in the GTX 08-09 winter and now have a GPR.

as I do miss the GTX, I am very very happy with the way this modded GPR runs!

OK - have upgraded plastic pump to metal 267000046 (off 2004 to 2008 215 hp RXT/RXP). Will use new wear ring for 03 SC but having hard time deciding on impeller. Plan on only Stage 1 mods (4" air intake, have Jerry's SC washers/rebuild, maybe wedge, others?).

From my search of prior posts here's what I've learned about my choices (thanks mainly to lextoy, PaleRider, jpeconsult):
    1. Stock is 4 blade 12/20. not stock pitch size
    2. Recommended Stage 1 props are: 12\20 regardless of what`s read here, Dave at Impro`s states that an out of the box 12\20 is too much for a stock 03-04 GTXSC.
    a. 13/20 4-blade.
    3. 3 blade will be better low end, better holeshot. it will take off faster from stop, but might lose 1-2 mph on top speed.
    4. 4 blade will be little bit better on low end & a little bit better on top speed, and is more balanced for all around performance.
    5. If you like do alot of sharp turns, spins and wave jumping, get the 3 blade.
    6. If you like to do alot of long high speed cruises, get the 4 blade.

Leaning toward 3-blade 16/21 (faster accel/holeshot) but ...

Looking for other 03 SC owners impeller advice/inputs/experiences before I drop the cash on a new impeller ...

Thanks in advance for help/inputs guys!

BTW - do I still need to reinstall the large metal pump bracket on the right side of the new metal pump? or was it just to help prevent plastic pump flex?
    you can`t compare the 3 blade to the 4 blade as far as pitch numbers represent. while thinking the 16\21 is a larger prop it is not, it`s a different root angle and pitch manufacture design.

with the metal pump you do not need the support bracket. that was there to help control the distorsion and axial load of the plastic pump housing...

do your self a favor and get new washers and the brass NYLOK nuts used on newer model RXTs and then you don`t need the stressed lock washers...
    I found mine at http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...d/default.aspx
    http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...5/Sea-Doo.aspx

#7 - SKU:234001600 flat washers
    #8 - SKU:232501200 Brass lock nuts

also check to see if the large round seal on the pump is in good shape, the slightest distorsion will cause cavitation.
    also check the condition of your bailer o rings and the water reducer disc...

look on that web page for further parts diagram!...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information