Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SC on water, TT on land

12V low on startup only

This problem actually seems to have started last year. Anytime I took my Sea-Doo out, even if it only had been sitting 1 week, on startup it would run real rough and give me a 12V low on the display for about 5 seconds and then it would go away and idle properly. This season I just put a brand new battery in, and the first time out it was fine. Then 1 week later it gave me the 12V low again on startup, then after a few seconds it would be fine.

I haven't tested the rectifier yet, but it seems to me that if it was the rectifier then I the 12V low would not go away. I am thinking that I have a current leak somewhere. Are there any common places that this may occur at?

+1
    It happens all the time. It is most likely that the battery is starting to loss it's amperage or volts. Time for a good charge or a new battery.

SC on water, TT on land
    I just put in a brand new battery not even 2 weeks ago. Maybe I just need to charge it up before I take it out every week?

My 08 RXPX does the same thing...

Except get this. You know when you first put the key in, all the icons on the dash light up, then it resets, and the displays read properly. Well I go to ride one day, pull the cover off my ski, and realize why this is happening. With no key on the post, every 10 seconds on the nose, the display comes on like I just put a key on the post, then it turns off. This happens spontaneously all on its own, and only seems to happen when the ski gets hot under the cover on sunny days. Anyhow I had this same problem and I could never figure it out. But I'd say its fairly certain now that my problem was caused by a bad DESS post.

Put a volt meter against the battery while idling and see what you get...13.5 to 13.8 is normal, if less or more the regulator is bad or the regulator fuse needs replacing or cleaning. Sounds like you are getting more than normal milliamps discharge when not in the water.

SC on water, TT on land
    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Put a volt meter against the battery while idling and see what you get...13.5 to 13.8 is normal, if less or more the regulator is bad or the regulator fuse needs replacing or cleaning. Sounds like you are getting more than normal milliamps discharge when not in the water.

I'll give the test a try, but if my regulator was bad, wouldn't my ski continue to die even after it reads 12V low?

Quote Originally Posted by PTLanza View Post
    I'll give the test a try, but if my regulator was bad, wouldn't my ski continue to die even after it reads 12V low?
    Maybe...but you can rule out regulator or fuse easily or maybe that's the problem.

when you cut the ski off the MPEM/ECU stays active for a few seconds and sees battery voltage only since the engine is not running and logs this as low voltage. when you start the ski the next time this is the information that is displayed, it takes a couple of seconds for another info update to see the correct voltage with the engine running. most likely there is nothing wrong with your ski.

SC on water, TT on land
    i'll test the regulator out anyways

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    when you cut the ski off the MPEM/ECU stays active for a few seconds and sees battery voltage only since the engine is not running and logs this as low voltage. when you start the ski the next time this is the information that is displayed, it takes a couple of seconds for another info update to see the correct voltage with the engine running. most likely there is nothing wrong with your ski.

i hope your right, but would this cause my ski to idle low until ~1300-1500 rpms until the update comes in?

I considered this possibility also, I'm thinking this is definitely what I'm seeing. As it only flashes 12v low for a second when I first start the ski for the day, then I don't see it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information