MSX 140 HO, running good but still iffy

beean awhile since i've posted,

have a 03 MSX 140, been running well lately but still not the same as my other 03 MSX 140

Had some work done to it over the winter. plugs just replaced at beginning of season

Currently running yamalube and plan to switch to polaris oil this weekend hoping that will work better

Switched from 87 to 89 that made a very small difference. May try out premium.

Running about half a bottle of salt away through the ski added like 5 mph to the top end. Wouldn't have even thought that would affect anything, maybe just a fluke?

For all i know somethings could still used to be looked over....any suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by laxidiot87 View Post
    been awhile since i've posted,

have a 03 MSX 140, been running well lately but still not the same as my other 03 MSX 140

Had some work done to it over the winter. plugs just replaced at beginning of season

Currently running yamalube and plan to switch to Polaris oil this weekend hoping that will work better

Switched from 87 to 89 that made a very small difference. May try out premium.

Running about half a bottle of salt away through the ski added like 5 mph to the top end. Wouldn't have even thought that would affect anything, maybe just a fluke?...
    Welcome back

I hope that the salt-away flushing through the cooling system wasn't the thing that made the difference!

89 octane is the minimum, and I would recommend a bit more. I run 91 octane in all my Ficht engines.

The EMM does monitor engine temperature, and will reduce power if the temps are higher than expected. Normally, you will see the HOT warning if it gets too hot, but I am not sure how much the EMM will dial power back before that temp is reached.

What maximum RPM are you seeing on each of your MSX 140?

2003 msx 140

Hi Guys

Sorry to cut into this thread, but I really need some help with a 2003 msx 140. Took ski in for a drive shaft seal, mechanic tampered with fuel tank and broke either the sender or return outlets on top of fuel pump. He then improvised two new outlets to attach hoses. Since then the ski has had starting issues. Changed new battery, starts sometimes, and otherwise has no fuel pressure or spark also ckeck engine light is on and the engine will only crank but not start. Any suggestions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by robby View Post
    Hi Guys

Sorry to cut into this thread, but I really need some help with a 2003 msx 140. Took ski in for a drive shaft seal, mechanic tampered with fuel tank and broke either the sender or return outlets on top of fuel pump. He then improvised two new outlets to attach hoses. Since then the ski has had starting issues. Changed new battery, starts sometimes, and otherwise has no fuel pressure or spark also ckeck engine light is on and the engine will only crank but not start. Any suggestions.
    Robby, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums. Have the damn tech replace the sender as he/she should have done when he/she broke it, go from there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by laxidiot87 View Post
    Currently running yamalube and plan to switch to polaris oil this weekend hoping that will work better
    Big mistake in my humble opinion. The injectors in this particular system don't even like the Polaris Nature oil and there have been bulletins relating to the issue.
    If you're running it in the good running machine, I'd switch it as well.
    Now if you have an early 03 versus a late 03 you will also find you have more issues with the early run boat.
    A common problem is in the stator area and will cause poor idle, surging at higher RPM, low RPM's etc.
    Is the TPS adjusted to near 100%?
    Is the slack out of the accelerator cable?

+1
    Hi Guys

Sorry to cut into this thread, but I really need some help with a 2003 msx 140. Took ski in for a drive shaft seal, mechanic tampered with fuel tank and broke either the sender or return outlets on top of fuel pump. He then improvised two new outlets to attach hoses. Since then the ski has had starting issues.

Changed new battery, starts sometimes, and otherwise has no fuel pressure or spark also check engine light is on and the engine will only crank but not start. Any suggestions.
    Welcome

Click below for the service manual.

More importantly, click on the second link to find your way to the Ficht engine pages.

It sounds like the damaged fuel pump is only part of your problem.

I agree with Ph20craft that the fuel pump should be replaced, if it is damaged. You can find them used or new. Parts sources are linked from the first URL below.

I would suspect the battery voltage is low, which can cause no spark.

What else did this 'mechanic' touch?

2003 msx 140

Thanks for all the ideas regarding this ski. I did a lot of reading on the forums and it all pointed to the TPS, went to the mechanic and told him that we should try unplugging tps and see if ski will start. Mechanic insisted that he checked operation of tps, anyway unplugged connector and ski started right up. No reading from tps. Need to obtain new tps to install minus ski mechanic. Any additional tips would be appreciated, hope i can finally take ski out to lake after tps replacement. Do I need to have the tps installed by a mechanic?

+1
    ...Do I need to have the tps installed by a mechanic?
    Nope.

When snugging down the TPS bolts, hold the TPS body counterclockwise against the bolts. This aligns the TPS for 100% reading when the throttle is held wide open.

Do not over-tighten the TPS bolts.

Just follow the installation instructions for the TPS, and make sure you get the correct TPS part number;
    Ficht TPS versions, sources

Thread Information