Oil tank removal (yes another premix Q)

I have a 96 spx 717, I can't seem to find clear answers.

1) Can I completely remove my leaky oil tank and plug everything up on the motor to switch to premix?

2) Do I have a rotary valve on this motor that needs to be kept lubed if I go premix?

3) Do I use normal motor oil to lube said rotary valve and can I just use any tank (smaller, non leaky)?

4) Thanks a bunch!

You can remove the tank, but you need to keep oil to the rotary valve. Use injection oil for the rotary valve.

+1
    You can loop the hoses together and keep the oil in that way. Cheap oil tank.

So I just loop the hoses from the original feed and return, then leave the oil in there? Does it need changed every so often? How come some people say you need to leave the tank in to lube the rotary valve?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by awd98tsi View Post
    So I just loop the hoses from the original feed and return, then leave the oil in there? Does it need changed every so often? How come some people say you need to leave the tank in to lube the rotary valve?
    I think one would want to change that oil out once a year or so. You could leave the tank in, but you would still need to change it and I do not see an advantage to having the tank in there over using the looped hoses.

1- yes
    2- yes there is a gear that needs the lube
    3- use your regular oil that you will premix, you could adapt another tank or as posted just loop the lines.
    4- you are welcome

If you want to get rid of the oil tank, that is possible. Place a "Y" in line, so you can just add injection oil as needed. Zip tie and plug the line up high so you can keep an eye on it for maintenance. (Then just add 3.2 oz of oil per gallon of fuel for 40:1)

confused

i have finally gotten sick of oil in my boat all the time, and i want to switch to premix.

i have been reading about the two lines that you loop together, lines to and from resevoir, when i look at the engine diagrams in the manual and the lines themselves i have trouble picking whats what.

there is lines from the bottom of tank, those are to pump and the rotary valve of, then there is a line from the opposite side of block that goes to top of tank.

are these the two lines i need to put together?

thanks guys

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by luciano647 View Post
    i have finally gotten sick of oil in my boat all the time, and i want to switch to premix.

i have been reading about the two lines that you loop together, lines to and from resevoir, when i look at the engine diagrams in the manual and the lines themselves i have trouble picking whats what.

there is lines from the bottom of tank, those are to pump and the rotary valve of, then there is a line from the opposite side of block that goes to top of tank.

are these the two lines i need to put together?

thanks guys
    you want to loop the 2 lines that come off either side of the block.

great

thanks alot guys

this is by far the best pwc site out there for info!

Thread Information