Where the river meets the sea... Rogue Worx's Avatar

250X and Big Waves...

I'm looking for some feed back on what all you 250 folks may see as things to watch out for when running a 250 in surf... Looks like I may be judging a tow surf contest on my ski in a few months... My plan is to drive through the smaller stuff and out run and avoid the bigger stuff, like 40' plus... Dub's gave me some good info for offshore rigging, lifter wedges and stuff... Just looking for any other week points with the ski in this type of situation...

I have rode this ski in monster surf. Just be sure to watch how surf is breaking. I always make sure I have an escape route if caught inside. Have a buddy system. Some tow-in ppl like to put a strap in tow line coming out of their hood in front. ( I don't). My ski is setup for big wave riding, I have pump cone, riva plate and 2' wedge. SO my nose rides high. I don't use a rescue sled (slows me down). I also do a major check on my ski the night before to be sure everything is in perfect running condition. Oil, steering, hoses and I remove the front bucket to put extra rope inside. This is in case other ski's go down. I have pulled a couple of ski's out from big surf. Hope this helps.

My avatar is me dropping in on a 15' face

I would make very very sure your steering system is "ship shape"'. All bolts tight! that little screw piece that attaches your steering cable to the nozzle; make sure that is bolted on good. Too, as best you can, make sure your steering cable is in good shape. Needless to say, there are no "small" problems on these things in the Surfline . . . especially if the waves are 40 feet. Have fun and be carelful!

Where the river meets the sea... Rogue Worx's Avatar
    Mikey n John, good points... I took Shawn's k38 training about a year ago and try to build on what I learned there... I was wondering if punching through white water with the supercharger sucking would invite any problems... I have my seats and front lid straped down, tow line, the stuff you would use when offshore... I will have another person on board working with me and I was thinking of running with a sled but I hate how the can make you track sometimes... Again, thanks, this shound be fun...

Punching through whitewash is, or should not be a problem for SC. Anti cavitation pump cone solved the cavitation problem for me. Shawns K38 class is great for big surf riders as this makes the sport more safe for all of us. The reason I like to ride big surf is the spiritual aspect of it. Nothing like dropping in on a 20+ face of a wave!!! Again, every time I go out the list of checks on ski get longer!!!

Thread Information