Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fuel consumption 1998 zxi 1100

i think it has a 14 gal tank but im not sure. how long will it normally last on one tank of riding? on the average? 4 hours? 6 hours? also these r oil injected also correct? any other info on this specific ski. like common issues or what to look for when buying one please tell me. it looks like i found a killer deal on one and im thinkin about selling my polaris SLT 780 for it.

any info or advice would be much appreciated

thx tony

Hi camaroracing12. I used to own a 96 zxi 1100. It really depends on how you run the ski on how much fuel it will consume. Just cruising around it is not that bad but if you really get into the throttle they get pretty thirsty. I rode my ski very hard for about 5 years and never put a wrench on it except for routine maintenance which is very important. There were a few issues with the 96 for sure. These included the ski having a tendency to buck the rider at wide open throttle. I dont really remember what caused this but I did experience it a time or two. Pretty scary. These skis also tend to porpoise quite a bit. Besides this it was a pretty fun ski to own although I would never give up my SD RXP for one.

Somebody put up run time for a full tank of fuel and I believe it's just a bit over an hour.

I'm a newbie, but I'll post a little on my two ZXI 1100 I just bought. Fuel consumption is pretty bad. They both run great, so it's not a tuning/carb issue. They just seem to use a lot of gas.

As I said, they run great and so far seems like they'll be pretty reliable with regular maintenance. They're 13 years old and still going strong, so that's saying something. Both trim units went out on them. The boxes leaked and internals were all corroded. The parts to repair them are very expensive (over $350 retail for a new electric trim motor). I've locked out the trim (nozzles are in a fixed position) on both skis. Nozzle trim is a nice feature, but to me not worth the money it would cost to fix them. This is the one thing that seems to be a common failure item on the ZXI no matter what year.

I have blocked off the oil pumps and switched em over to premix. I don't trust oil injection even though it's been around a long time. I figure why risk it. I read somewhere that life expectancy for an oil pump is about 6 years and that's not counting the lines that could come off or split, crack etc.

Handling would be alright for what you're looking to do. They'll spin real easy with the stock sponsons on em.

I've switched over to beach house sponsons on both skis. The ZXI have a tendency to porpoise on anything other than smooth water and since smooth water is a rarity.......... The beach house sponsons pretty much cured the porpoise, but it gets a little dicey on the cornering with em. I've got em setup on the least aggressive setting possible and they will still over steer on corners. They like to hook a sponson and they'll turn real hard. It definitely takes some getting used to. They will still spin if provoked, but once again, you want to take some time to get used to how they corner if you're going to run aftermarket sponsons.

just a bit over an hour? are u serious? thats freakin awful! i did a good 3 hours at least with my 1997 polaris slt 780 and still had some fuel left. same size tank i believe

i mean how long have u gone on average in normal riding conditions? like a good amount of open throttle but also cruising. (like in a river with a lot of no wake zones) i just want to be able to go from my town to the ocean play a little then return on one tank. its prolly a lil under an hour each way about 25 min of that is cruising at under 10mph in no wake zones. u think i would have plenty of fuel with just one tank?

if the thing will only last like an hour or so i wont even bother upgrading, i'll just stick with my slower/better on gas slt 780

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12 View Post
    just a bit over an hour? are u serious? thats freakin awful! i did a good 3 hours at least with my 1997 polaris slt 780 and still had some fuel left. same size tank i believe

i mean how long have u gone on average in normal riding conditions? like a good amount of open throttle but also cruising. (like in a river with a lot of no wake zones) i just want to be able to go from my town to the ocean play a little then return on one tank. its prolly a lil under an hour each way about 25 min of that is cruising at under 10mph in no wake zones. u think i would have plenty of fuel with just one tank?

if the thing will only last like an hour or so i wont even bother upgrading, i'll just stick with my slower/better on gas slt 780
    I said it was bad. It might've been 1.5 hours. I don't believe it was any more than that though. Believe it or not, my other boat uses about the same amount of gas and it's a lot bigger and has 500 hp. Seriously.....they use about the same amount of gas. I'll drive the boat and the kids and my girlfriend will take the skis to a place we like to hang out at about 40 min cruise each way. We get back and the skis are empty. The boat will have half tanks. That's about 10-11 gallons through the boat and 12-13 gallons through each ski.

My buddy has a Polaris 750 and he uses a lot less gas than my two. I believe his has a bigger tank, but not that much bigger.

the lady who owns it says she gets approx 5 hours out of a full tank, i was thinkign to myself tho, why would they produce a jet ski that only runs for an hour and a half on a full tank of gas? dosent make sense to me. no offense to u man u could be very much correct but it makes me ponder a little.

No offense taken.

I should add that the trip I mentioned in the post above was probably about 85% wide open throttle on the skis. Still sucky mileage though.

I bought em used and got a pretty good deal on two skis and the trailer. Newby to skis, but have been running boats for years. If I had it to do over again, I might've held out for something different. Although from the prices I've seen it would've cost me at least double what I paid to break into the sport on anything considered more up to date.

I'll see if I can find those numbers (fuel economy) and put em up if I do.

yea i just read here: http://www.jetskinews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2373 that this guy was getting 3-5mpg on average with the 25lbs heavier STX model. 13.7 gal tank x 3mpg = 41.1 miles the range i am looking at is about 30-40miles round trip and thats a good 2 hours+ of riding.

do u have the offical #'s from the dealer? that be awesome! i think i might call them tomorrow to clearify. but i think im in the clear right now according to this other info i found. if worse comes to worse i can always stop along the river for gas, its a lot more expensive but watev it will get me home.

I just went looking for the spec sheet that I found on the internet. The site that it was on closed their doors and I couldn't retreive it. Should'be done a cut n paste to word when I first saw it, but I didn't.

It might be out there somewhere, but couldn't find much on 13 year old jetskis for some reason............

Hey Camaroracing12,
    I was just out on my 99 1100zxi Sunday. I rode some WOT but mostly 35-45 mph and I got 4 hours out of a full tank of gas. It was almost on fumes when I docked but I was real happy with the fuel mileage. During WOT you could almost see the fuel gauge drop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information